PDA

View Full Version : new guy here: quick question

CCRanch
08-07-2006, 01:38
My new 06 2500HD DMax CC lwb will be here on Thrusday, and now my buddy has me all worried about some new additive that is going in the fuel in 07. He says fuel prices are going to go up because of this. Just wondering what ya'll are hearing. Thanks.

Ponderosa JT
08-07-2006, 12:35
I think your buddy is talking about Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel. The new ULSD fuel is required to be at the pumps in California by Sept 1 2006 and all other states by Oct 15 and is required for the 2007 models to meet EPA standards. The extra refining will be more expensive. There have been threads about the ULSD. You can do a search on "ULSD". The main concern appears to be lubricicity being reduced as the sulfur is removed to meet the 15ppm level. Additives to improve lubrication may be required.

Jeff

More Power
08-08-2006, 10:17
As Ponderosa JT mentioned, there are other threads here that discuss ULSD in more detail.

In short, when filling up with ULSD, you should treat your fuel using a nationally available fuel treatment at the recommended ratio that advertises additional lubricity . Eventually, the oil companies and refineries will get their lubricity additive all sorted out, but till then we could be exposed to an occasional tank of fuel that doesn't have adequate fuel lubricity.

Jim