PDA

View Full Version : Marine Injectors

noelb
08-07-2006, 17:11
I am looking to replace the injectors on my 1998 6.5 TD "F" engine. The engine is in standard trim. I am looking to shoot for the TDCO figure of -1.94. My question relates to what type of Injectors to purchase.

(1) Is there any benefit to purchasing Marine Spec Injectors over standard Injectors such as those provided by Kennedy Diesel?

(2) Will Marine Injectors cause any increased wear on the IP pump or any other negative factors?

Robyn
08-07-2006, 17:34
After some research at the local rebuilder here The term "Marine" seems to be unfounded as he has no listing for such an animal. I believe there are some shops that are turning out pumps that can dump more fuel and injectors with slightly higher pop than spec and calling it marine.
The Marine engines dont have the heat rejection issues we have in the trucks as they Have a limitless supply of cold water from the river/pond to draw from and keeping the temp down to real comfy levels is easy. Also a cold water aftercooler is a snap with all the creek water sloshing around.
My personal recommendation would be stay stock on the pump and squirters and be safe and happy and let your little Diesel rat live a good long life.
The cold water aftercooler can very likely supply air to the engine at very high pressure at very cold temps. A good water aftercooler could very well give air temps in the 50-60 degree range even in the summer depending on the water temp of course.
One can really jump the HP from the 6.5 under these conditions. This however cant be duplicated easily in a truck that runs down the highway.
The thermodynamic stresses of high manifold pressure with the accompaning heat are just too much.
I talked to a local boat shop that runs twin 6.5's with water aftercoolers and they are pumping 20lbs of boost and loads of fuel for some real impressive Horse pressure. They are running these engines on large outdrives as well as some very big jet pumps. These pumps are multi stage and operate at much lower RPM than a standard ski boat pump.
Hope this answers your question about the marine goodies
Robyn

john8662
08-07-2006, 22:38
Actually, true "marine" termed injectors have different (larger) nozzles that are set at a higher pop pressure to atomize the fuel properly.

For the pump, it's usually a pump equipped with larger plungers internally and regulated for a higher fuel rate.

As Robyn stated, these parts are usually used in a marine environment where cooling is not the issue, but gaining high power is the main goal... So the components are termed "marine" because that was what they were primarily used for.

If the engine is stock, I'd stick with stock NEW injectors from a reputable vendor, remans are a bit less than to be desired...