PDA

View Full Version : Boost pressure gauge install ?s

lvrver44
08-08-2006, 10:19
From the 'Got Gauges?' article in the Member's area re: Boost pressure gauge install:

"we need to tap into the intake manifold inlet for the boost pressure gauge"

I have three questions:

1) It looks like there are 6 bolts and a clamp that must be removed to get the sucker off for drilling/tapping. Is there a particular torque setting for re-installation of these bolts?

2) Can I reuse the (what appears to be metal) gasket?

3) Any other gotchas I should look out for?

Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
08-08-2006, 13:57
I drilled/tapped mine (and a couple others) in place. You have to be very careful, though. I blocked the plenum below where I was drilling, and had a constant stream of shop air to blow out the shavings (you could do the same with a vac). A greased rag stuffed down there will grab any shavings that don't get blown out. Very easy if you're careful.

Same thing for the EGT probe. Just do that one with the engine idling.

lvrver44
08-08-2006, 14:18
Thanks DmaxMaverick. That's a good idea, but where do you drill the hole? From the pix in the article it appears the hole is drilled at the rear. It looks like it would be a bear to get in behind there with a drill, yet that would provide the cleanest path for the tubing.

EGT is already done :D That one went by the book.

DmaxMaverick
08-08-2006, 14:27
Location isn't all that important. You just need to get it in place between the I/C and plenum (before I/C isn't accurate, due to thermal expansion). The 2006 is different, but find a location in the plenum with easy access.

If you are planning to go through the trouble of tearing it down, just remove an I/C pipe and have a 1/8" NPT boss welded into it. Cheap, clean, and easy, and will solve any clearance/access issues.