PDA

View Full Version : Best place to mount new PMD?

2tough2park
08-08-2006, 15:03
My-oops...I meant my friend's truck, has not stalled once in the two months since I sold it to him. It stalled twice on the ride from my house to his when he picked it up and has not since. Treading water, I tell him. It'll happen. So, when I put in the new PMD, where to put it? I was thinking right in the air box so the intake draw would maintain a constant flow of air over the unit keepint it cool. I don't want to mount it on the skid plate as it WILL get beat up(he's already tried to pull stumps with the back bumper). But I would like to get it out of the hot engine compartment. If I pick up, say, a 6 foot extension harness, where would be a good place to mount it other than the roof?

Robyn
08-08-2006, 15:26
Long extension is a good thing.
Put the PMD on a good heat sink and mount it up front of the header support or under the drivers side battery. Some folks even mount them down on the inside of the front splash pan below the radiator. Keep it in a dry area but as far away from heat as possible. I have mounted them inside under the front seat and that was ok.
NO water and No heat = Happy PMD :0)

Scrufdog
08-08-2006, 17:06
anywhere out of the engine compartment is good. Just make sure that no matter where you put it you have a decent heatsink on it.

Kennedy
08-09-2006, 06:57
We've been mounting PMD's on the FSD cooler and mounting in numerous locations depending on the model year. The inner fender or immediately in from of the LH battery (behind the headlight) works well. RJ has his by the headlight and it was cool as a cucumber last I checked. One key though is that he is intercooled. Intercooling is an AWESOME way to reduce underhood temps and increase component life.

I've recently had more and more using the 72" extension and mounting their coolers down behind the bumper.

DA BIG ONE
08-10-2006, 03:30
I used Heath's remote 2wd unit and mounted it on the front leading and lower edge of the pass side bumper. This unit is installed w/o any additional sealing against the elements, has been in deep water for extended periods, hot desert w/o any issues.

I installed another setup w/deep heatsink and using Kennedy's extension harness to install on lower leading edge of drivers side wheel well and extending below bumper line. This unit has additional weather sealing against the elements, used under all conditions w/o issues.

Oh, I have another one (working fine) still mounted to the IP.

JohnC
08-10-2006, 09:06
... my friend's truck, has not stalled once in the two months since I sold it to him. ... So, when I put in the new PMD, where to put it? ...

What did you do, give him a lifetime warranty?

;)

2tough2park
08-10-2006, 14:04
What did you do, give him a lifetime warranty?

;)

ha ha funny
No. But since the stalling ussue had been a problem for me and I have a guiltly conscience(and we work together), I promised to fix the stalling issue if he bought the truck. That's why I hate selling to friends. But, in the end, it all works out. LBZ for me!!!!!