PDA

View Full Version : Fuel shutoff solenoid or IP?

RunMonkeyRun
08-10-2006, 11:43
Having a hot start problem still! Okay finally got my truck running and when it gets hot randomly will not start when its hot, know from reading some post here I finally had it act up on me and I poored cold water over the fuel solenoid area and the truck started right up. Is there away to test fuel shut off solenoid to see if that is the actual problem, magiver it or something? in toronto the dealer wants $250.00 for the part I really really don't feel like guessing and just start buying parts at that price for nothing. The truck runns fine for know no hesitations or anything. Just this periodic hot start. Please somebody give me a hand, through me a bone!

DmaxMaverick
08-10-2006, 12:16
While it is possible, it is unlikely the FSS causing your intermitent, hot issue. You can "Magiver" it by applying 12V to the solenoid. It should click on with power, and off when power is removed. You should hear the same click with the key is on/off. The best time to test it is when you have a hot/no start episode. That's about all there is to testing without pulling it off. I think you'll find it's working fine.

That being said, you should have a look at the 6.5TD troubleshooting procedure HERE (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm). Your situation immediately points to a bad PMD, but you should follow the procedure to confirm it. The "no hot start" issue is more commonly the PMD, especially when a cool bath gets it started again.

RunMonkeyRun
08-10-2006, 13:27
My password does not seem to be working or is this part of a subscription?

DmaxMaverick
08-10-2006, 13:38
My password does not seem to be working or is this part of a subscription?

Yes. It requires a subscription. The details are on the FORM (https://thedieselpage.com/form.htm). Well worth it, though. There's a wealth of information in the Member's area. The Troubleshooting Guide is available online now, but won't be forever.

If you have any subscription questions, please email Jim at turbo@thedieselpage.com .