PDA

View Full Version : Too much boost?

MR.
08-10-2006, 12:32
I just got my boost fooler wired correctly and now...up hill under load it will climb to 20PSI. I thought this was a bit much so I truned it down to about 16.
Does this sound correct? Don't want to screw anything up :-).
Thanks
One other odd thing...I have read that you turn the pot up at idle until you get the SES light....and then back it off until it goes back off. Mine does not light at all could this be another issue?

96 2500 Suburban 6.5TD F&N filter. Home Made Boost Fooler. boost,Trans Temp and EGT Gauges

DmaxMaverick
08-10-2006, 13:29
Are you monitoring EGT's??? Pre or post turbo?

In the absence of some serious structural mods and an intercooler, you are headed for serious trouble! Even 16 is over the edge. With a basically stock engine, 12 is a marginal limit, and 14 is the hard limit if you are a gambler. I'm very surprised you were able to make 20 PSI.

MR.
08-10-2006, 13:39
I let off the gas if they climb above 1100.
Thanks for the info....I'l turn it down to 12.

DmaxMaverick
08-10-2006, 13:43
Good response.

Robyn
08-11-2006, 21:05
I had a customer a few years ago that had a Banks Blown 6.2 and he always scoffed at the idea that he was headed for the incinerator and laughed at me for cautioning him about his high boost pressures.
He would haul two Bobcats on a triple axle trailer behind his 3/4 ton GMC up a 6 mile long 6 percent grade and brag that he could gain speed all the way.
Well it did for a while then one day it came limping and crawling into my place. 3 Cylinders had pistons with the tops that looked like bowls. and 3 that had holes all the way through. The valves were all sucked way into the head.
The guys are telling you the straight dope here.
Heat kills these fine little diesel rats. Find a nice happy spot about 8 pounds where they EGT is under 1K and set up your boost regulator to not exceed this.
If you push the 6.2/6.5 engines you will be needing a broom and a dust pan.
The design has some limits and its certainly ok to work the little beasties but if you go hard up against those limits regularly they WILL MELT DOWN.
I have seen the 6.5 in jet boats running some GAWD awful HP but they have cold water intercoolers and cold water to keep the engine reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeely cool. The air temp going into the engine is COLD and the egt is way down, I mean way down. 700 max on a hard run with heavy boost. You cant do this stuff in a truck as there is no bloody way to get rid of the heat fast enough. The thermodynamic stress on these little engines just overwhelms them and fast.
Both my Suburbans are stock except for the water pump and I just enjoy the fuel mileage and the long life.
If I need real HP to drag the world around I grab my dually with the stroker 503 incher and have at it. Big HP with a metric buttload of torque and a radiator the size of a hall closet.
If you want your diesel to live keep the boost in the reasonable groove.
I have had a GM diesel in my ownership since the first Olds 5.7 came out. I bought a caddy once with one and My father thought I was crazy. No stranger to the black sooty rattly engines here.
Good luck
Robyn