PDA

View Full Version : 11 G glow plugs

chickenhunterbob
08-10-2006, 17:20
I have a set of 11G glow plugs

There is nothing tragically wrong with 11G glow plugs, is there?

They will be replacing me existing 9G glow plugs, which work fine, but I got a real decent price.

thanks
Bob

redbird2
08-10-2006, 19:54
I still have several trucks probley close to 70 still running them, got them cheap enough run save some money

More Power
08-11-2006, 11:24
No problem with 11G plugs except they don't seem to be as long lived as 60G's. When 11G's do fail, they simply fail to light, but don't swell or disintegrate like the 9G's.

Anyone who still has 9G's should change them out ASAP....

Jim

dieselrealtor
08-11-2006, 13:23
Anyone who still has 9G's should change them out ASAP....

Jim

How do you tell the difference between them?

DmaxMaverick
08-11-2006, 13:47
How do you tell the difference between them?
Simple. Remove them. Apply 12V to the plugs for about 30 seconds. The ones that smoke, then pop and swell up at the tip, and sometimes fall apart will be the 9G's. If they just cool off and quit, they'll be 11G's.

Seriously, they should be stamped with a 9 or 11 on the hex surface. If they are off-brand, they may have different markings, or no markings at all. Assume these are 9's, and toss them. The AC 9G plugs were better than the aftermarkets (Champions were about the worst), but still a problem. A failing glow controller that extended the glow cycle would very often cause the 9G plugs to swell or break while in the head. That being said, the 9G plugs were the most effective, hottest and quickest, until they failed, catastrophically. I still have a set in my '85, but with a manual glow, they never see more than about 5 seconds glow, and I've had no problems with them since the manual glow install. I've pulled and checked them several times over the years. I've had to remove swelled 9G's before, and that was no fun. The Blazer will be getting QH's before it sees more frequent duty.

chickenhunterbob
09-17-2006, 17:41
Well they're in.

Don't know why I waited so long, the whole job probably took an hour.

Very easy job to do if anyone is intimidated, don't be.

Passenger side removed tire and spash shield, had to r&r the back from underneath, not much room for the fat fingers in there, but just enough.

I did sort of eye up what would be required for an injector change though, which is my next project on another rainy day. That appears it will require removing a little more junk, but think I have it figured out.

Shikaroka
09-18-2006, 08:05
Passenger side removed tire and spash shield, had to r&r the back from underneath, not much room for the fat fingers in there, but just enough.

I did sort of eye up what would be required for an injector change though, which is my next project on another rainy day. That appears it will require removing a little more junk, but think I have it figured out.

Yeh, replacing the glow plugs was one of the first things I ever did to a 6.5L TD engine. The driver's side was a breeze. I too removed the inner fender on the passenger side, which made it pretty easy at that point.

To replace the injectors, you will need to pull off the turbo and the inner fender again, but it isn't too bad.

Back on topic:
I think my old glow plugs said "10G" on them. They were AC Delcos. Is that possible?