PDA

View Full Version : Where would I locate the extra trailer wiring?

noelb
08-12-2006, 02:44
I have 98 Suburban K2500. I spent hours trying to work out how to get power to the electric brakes from the brake controller before I just ran some wires along the chassis. Now I find out there are probably already some spare wires in the loom for this very purpose!

Can anybody tell me where the wires would be and what color etc? I am hoping for at least two wires so I can run accessory power to the trailer as well!

Thanks,

Noel

DmaxMaverick
08-12-2006, 08:29
The charge wire should be black, and the brake wire should be blue. You can confirm this with your new-found manual. The diagrams are very helpful. They should also show locations. I've seen different wire colors and locations on the same model and year vehicle, so if yours is different, all bets are off. It may have something to do with what day of the week the truck was built, or which plant it came from.

noelb
08-12-2006, 23:16
I thought there may have been some but can't find any reference to any wires on the 98/99 model so I guess it doesn't have any.

rjwest
08-15-2006, 08:30
If no trailer option, probably no wires....

Red for power and blue for brake power, ) 96 truck )

HowieE
08-19-2006, 07:07
If the truck has trailer wiring, brake and dc power, they will be folded and tucked into the drivers side frame rail at the rear. There is an oval hole on the side of the frame and if you fish inside that hole you will find them. In the engine they will be to the inside of the steering colume along the fire wall and folded down towards the ground.

Mike P
08-25-2006, 10:39
The wires should be folded back onto themselves and wrapped with black vinyl tape and zip tied to the frame or the rest of the harness. They're there, regardless of towing package or not.

Remember, Hoppy, Reece, and others make plug-in adapters to provide wiring harnesses for these trucks. they plug in, in line with the existing GM Metripack connector behind the bumper. That'll get you the flat four connector, if you're just towing little trailers. I have both a 7 pin and a flat 4 on my '96 Suburban, so I don't need an adapter to plug in boat trailers.

My big wires were red and blue.

Mike P