PDA

View Full Version : 98 k3500 intermittent dying

matt-max
11-26-2003, 06:08
starting to have a problem with my 1998 srw k3500 6.5td 4L80e. it is all stock except fsd cooler with 58k-ish on the odo. fuel filter is fresh. battery connections are tight and good.

truck is intermittently dying. completely dying. not like the fsd is cutting out, but like somebody has a switch that turns off the battery or ignition and all power.

it will die while driving then come back on with a 'click' (not sure where the click is coming from) and be normal then die again. sometimes it will not start a few times in a row then be fine. runs great when its not dying.

could this be computer ecm going out? any other ideas?

maybe its the k&n filter...................

thanks
matt

turbovair
11-26-2003, 22:37
People think I'm crazy, but try this...with engine running, push, pull, wiggle ignition key in every direction. If engine dies, replace switch assy.These switches are prone to fail around 100,000..mine did. Engine would stall in traffic but restart.... and then stall again. Its a simple test to eliminate this as a source of trouble.Once I replaced switch assembly, problem completely vanished and has not reappeared.

matt-max
11-27-2003, 05:02
thanks i thought of that as i re-read my message and said, hmmmmm, as if someone was turning off the ignition.........

will try on monday

matt