PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my truck

FIRESCOOBY
08-14-2006, 15:57
This might be alittle long, but please read and give whatever advice you can provide. I've narrowed down to Dodge and GM, and I am posting this at a couple of both Dodge and GM sites.

I'm looking to buy a 2006 3/4 ton four door, 4wd, diesel, automatic truck. I've narrowed down to Chevrolet 2500 4wd crew cab, Duramax/Allison or a Dodge 2500 quad cab, 4wd, Cummins/48RE. I'll be using it to tow a landscape trailer that weighs 3k, but looking to upgrade to larger enclosed and possible skid steer in the future. I WILL NOT be lifting, bombing, etc. Only thing is maybe changing muffler to something a little louder. I maintain my vehicles very well also. I'm going from a 2004 Toyota Tacoma, so it'll be a BIG change either way.

Dodge pros:
CUMMINS - speaks for itself
Solid front axle
nice styling
compact size
better mileage

Dodge Cons:
48re - 4 speed, but seems pretty reliable
small quad cab - I don't like the looks of the megacab
"rumors" of Dodge problems like trucks falling apart. I've never owned a Dodge, but put very little faith in this

Chevy Pros:
Allison
bigger cab
comfort

Chevy cons:
Duramax - 3 changes in 6 years, not a lot of history
IFS
same rumors as Dodge, depending on who you talk to.

I'm not looking for brand wars, just honest information. ANYTHING that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2006, 16:44
Welcome to the Forums!

48RE--NOT reliable. Not then. Not now. No comparison to the newer 6 speed Allison, or any Allison, for that matter.

The Dodge trucks do fall apart. Always have. Always will. They are fairly reliable, though. A friend's statement on that (he only owns Dodge's), "If it don't need it to keep going down the road, it'll fall off." He gets a new one about every 2 years, so he's always under warranty....and needs it.

The Cummins engine is proven. True. It would be the same engine if it was in a Pinto.

What's wrong with IFS? Especially stock, it will outlast and outperform the SFA's. Very reliable system for many years.

"Compact size"??? Cummins don't come in the Dakota (OEM). The trucks are virtually the same size.

3 changes in 6 years (Duramax)....The evolution of a solid base product. Changes have been made to ease maintenance and follow EPA laws. Very similar changes have also been made to the Cummins. Actually, Cummins is now imitating much of the original Duramax design. Most current changes to both are mandated by the EPA, not the mfg.

Resale! Compare like trucks on KBB and Edmonds.

Biased? Me? Yes. I have in the past, and currently have, a Dodge ('75 PW...need kidney belt), but don't talk about it. I've test driven just about every year model Dodge over the past 20 years, and it's amazing what hasn't changed. Sheet metal and plastic isn't all that's in a truck.

Brand loyalty happens for a reason. Sometimes, it's warranted.

cowboywildbill
08-14-2006, 18:10
I was a Cummins guy! I also hve driven Ford PStrokes. I now own my second Dmax. I rodeo and tow very large heavy loads. I have never owned any other brand that has been as trouble free and pulls so good as our Dmax's do. We have some friends who run with us to rodeos and team pennings. They have recently traded in a New Dodge cummins and a 9 month old Ford Power Stroke for new Duramax's. They couldn't be happier. I haven't got anything bad to say about the GM's.But no mechanical thing is perfect. But these are pretty trouble free and the brakes last longer and stop better than any other truck I have ever owned. Everyone I know that has bought the Dmax's and owned a different brand in the past, say if they buy another diesel it will be a Dmax again. I think that speaks for itself. Good luck in whatever you buy.

letsgo
08-14-2006, 19:17
BOY you'd be lucky to get an unbiased answer from any brand site you asked this question, and every truck owner will say his brand is best.

SOOO all I know is that when I'm in the mountains going up hill and i want to go faster towing 10,000# I just put my gas foot closer to the floor,

problem the 26us gal tank is too small (I have 76us GAL)

problem the brake rotors tend to rust (snow belt)

My 2002 injectors were replaced (free).

other than that a GRRREAT TRUCK

sorry but your going to have to buy to experience the joy of DMAX ownership.

good luck

drive safe

rob from bc canada
08-14-2006, 21:00
After having 93 K2500 6.5 5 spd for 13 years, (3 alternators, 1 rad, 1 clutch, two sets of brakes, started on third set of tires, and other minor stuff) I finally decided to get a new one last year.

So now my 05 K3500 has 18,000km about 11,300 miles on it, and did not have any issues whatsoever I had to go back to dealer for, except I got a front wheel alignment out of them.

A good warranty is fine, and GM seems to stand behind any issues that arise as good or better than the rest, but not needing the warranty at all, is better!!! Knock on wood - hope it stays like that.

Truck runs great, rides well, nice and quiet, and mileage is only slightly less than my old standard shift which was probaly almost 1500 lbs lighter.

Passing cars up a 10% grade with a 3000 lb camper on can be sort of fun!!

AlbertaDiesel
08-15-2006, 07:22
I actually own a '93 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel CC 2wd and an '06 Chev Crew 4x4 1 ton Dmax. To compare these two trucks, of course, is ludicrous. Having said that, after owning the Dodge for 12 years (actually it has been a damn reliable truck for the most part - brakes are always a problem), I went for a Chev. And I have to say, I love it. The head mechanic at the dealer where I bought it said to keep the front end greased and she will be trouble free.

Good luck - let us know what you decide!

FIRESCOOBY
08-15-2006, 16:56
We drove a 2006 crew cab today, and wife and I agreed that we liked the Chevy better.

Only problem is that we're a good month away from being able to buy and I wanna make sure I get a 2006 for incentives and no emission stuff. This was the only 2006 the dealer had (a large dealer), but there were a few located. I want a LT1, and that narrows the search a little.

Also, does anyone know of a place where you can search for a certain truck besides going to each dealers inventory?

Thanks

conway
08-15-2006, 17:34
I was turned on to the fact (by a member of this board) that if you go to gmc/chevy website and request info and a brochure, that they send a coupon of about $1000 to $1500 is you buy a vehicle w/i about a month.

Mark Rinker
08-16-2006, 05:41
My experience: Bought three DMaxes in the last year. A new '05, two used '01 and '02. All three 2500HDs.

All three tow 30' trailers daily with loads up to 15K, averaging about 8K total weight.

Replaced one starter on the '01. Over 140K miles total between the three trucks. Brake linings/rotors are lasting longer than any other Chevy I have towed with.

Towing mileages are good.

Do the Dmax. You won't regret it.

Jackmchome
08-16-2006, 05:46
Go to your dealer and sit down and make out a order for the truck you want. It will be built to your specs and shipped to the dealer. If you do this NOW it will be a 2007 Classic which is the same as a 2006. I ordered mine mid July and it will be delivered within 5 days from now. (It is on a train)

bd1028
08-16-2006, 18:34
bought my duramax in 2002 2500 ext cab I have 239,000 miles on it now it has been a great truck I have towed boats and 7 x 18 cargo trailer with it since I have owned it Injectors were replaced while still under warranty at 188000 miles I did not have to put brakes on it until 192000 mile and didn't really need them then but couldn't believe they were still good until I saw them for myself .Just put a new high pressure pump on at 232000 miles and now the truck runs like new. Never used any additives pump might have lasted longer if I did .anyway I would highly recommend the Duramax

Brian