PDA

View Full Version : intercooler

jon6.5
08-14-2006, 21:43
ok before ya'll get fired up about a new post relax and hopfully this will be good enoughf to end all the re posts

i am intrested in building a intercooler for my 96 6 lug 4x4 6.5td and would like good instructions you may have or links to them. For the ease of others that may look later please reply only if you actually have good full directions, i do apperiate little bits of advice but ask this time only the whole story is givin, thanks

Jon

chango_ii
08-24-2006, 01:16
Well Jon,
I'mm in the same boat as you i have a 95 6.5l, 6 lug with 4 inch lift. i'm in the process of finding how rig that up.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

TurboDiverArt
08-24-2006, 12:18
I have some detailed instructions on how I did it. I have the types of rubber/silicone elbow's I used as well as the lengths of aluminum straight pipe. If you can weld aluminum and are good at cutting angles you can buy one of those universal aluminum intercooler pipe kits (like $89 on eBay) and save about $150. Either way the intercooler if you do it yourself should not cost you more than about $400. My install involved a custom upper intake but if I had known it was available I would have used the Peninsular upper intake for $50.

Although I think you can totally bolt the intercooler into place I personally would weld the brackets to the cross member because I don

redbird2
08-26-2006, 06:24
I modeled my set up after Art's worked great I went with a 4 thick cooler due to that fact of the weight I haul with the trailer I have, Art suggested that I only need to run a 3" thick cooler, which would be the case if your only towing some times try to get a cooler with 2.5" piping that way you don't have to use any adaptors.

It took me about 6-8 hours to install mine I'm kinda picky about how it looked when it was done it had to be just rite. I have about 350.00 in mine worth every penny of it hauled a load before install 900 egt same trip week later hotter outside temps ran 650 same load same road.

good luck

chango_ii
08-27-2006, 00:50
Bye hte way would you guys have any picture? So i can get a rough idea to run the pipes.

Bnave95
08-27-2006, 02:28
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23807&highlight=intercooler
Also search under intercooler, above click Search,

TurboDiverArt
08-27-2006, 13:50
I modeled my set up after Art's worked great I went with a 4 thick cooler due to that fact of the weight I haul with the trailer I have, Art suggested that I only need to run a 3" thick cooler, which would be the case if your only towing some times try to get a cooler with 2.5" piping that way you don't have to use any adaptors.

It took me about 6-8 hours to install mine I'm kinda picky about how it looked when it was done it had to be just rite. I have about 350.00 in mine worth every penny of it hauled a load before install 900 egt same trip week later hotter outside temps ran 650 same load same road.

good luck
Cool, sounds good. The reason I made the statement that a 3" is all someone really needs was based off of Kent's testing. He had the truck to normal operating temp, about 8000# behind him and a good grade in front of him (about 6%). From a standing start, foot to the floor all the way up to about 90MPH and the highest MAT he saw was less than 140F (133F if I recall). Ambient temp about 90F.

I too have the 4" thick cooler but I'm probably not seeing much cooler than what Kent sees. For the money you can't beat the setup. I agree, it takes a full day to install so plan for 8 hours. 4-inch thick core is going to hang a little lower than a 3

TurboDiverArt
08-27-2006, 13:55
Bye hte way would you guys have any picture? So i can get a rough idea to run the pipes.
Here is mine. You'll find that most of the homemade intercooler installs are about the same. I'm sure they all work equally as well, you can't go wrong!

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23092

Art.

chango_ii
08-27-2006, 20:22
:cool: thank you all for help know i need to start saving up. once again thank

Shikaroka
08-28-2006, 08:30
Has anyone considered (or done) a Top Mount Intercooler? Like a Suburau or 2nd gen. RX7.
The shorter your tubing the better. Too long and you start loosing boost and adding lag.
Seeing as how the turbo is up top, I think a Top Mount would work well. You would just need a scoop or cowl induction hood to clear it. It would also protect the intercooler from debri.

TurboDiverArt
08-28-2006, 11:33
Has anyone considered (or done) a Top Mount Intercooler? Like a Suburau or 2nd gen. RX7.
The shorter your tubing the better. Too long and you start loosing boost and adding lag.
Seeing as how the turbo is up top, I think a Top Mount would work well. You would just need a scoop or cowl induction hood to clear it. It would also protect the intercooler from debri.
I think a lot of it comes down to a need for core size and airflow. Although I'm not looking at my truck now but you've maybe got 6-8 inches of clearance. If you put a 3 or 4-inch thick intercooler on top of the engine there is not a lot of room below to evacuate the "scooped" in air assuming the upper side of the intercooler is flush with the hood. Also, to match the air cooling of the typical 12" x 24" core you would need to stack a 17" by 17" cooler on top of the engine. That's a pretty big hole in the hood to scoop into. A setup like this is probably better served by a liquid intercooler as you can have a smaller core size to handle the same volume of charged air.

I have not noticed any appreciable lag in my setup and I'm using 3" tubes. If you were to use 2.5" as an above poster mentioned you would cut down on lag a little more. Believe me, any lag you experience with the intercooler up front is more than made up for in the driving manners. I really didn

Shikaroka
08-28-2006, 19:57
Yeh, you're probably right, I'm just toying with different ideas. That's what I was looking for, other opinions. Thanks!
I would like to go with an Air-Water cooler, but they are ALOT more expensive.

TurboDiverArt
08-29-2006, 06:09
Yeh, you're probably right, I'm just toying with different ideas. That's what I was looking for, other opinions. Thanks!
I would like to go with an Air-Water cooler, but they are ALOT more expensive.
Also, where you going to put the water cooler exchanger and tank in a Suburban! That was always my problem with this as well as water injection in a Suburban. Quite the bummer for sure!

Art.

Shikaroka
08-29-2006, 07:49
Also, where you going to put the water cooler exchanger and tank in a Suburban! That was always my problem with this as well as water injection in a Suburban. Quite the bummer for sure!

Art.

Yeh, that is another issue. Now, a Freon-Air cooler would be awesome! :D

TurboDiverArt
08-29-2006, 12:07
Yeh, that is another issue. Now, a Freon-Air cooler would be awesome! :D
Someone on the board was trying this. Casted an aluminum adapter to house the evaporator unit directly onto the intake manifold, looked really nice. I don't think it ever got tested while plumbed into the A/C unit through. Worked well as a water-cooled intercooler when tested this way. With the A/C there was also the possible issue with condensation from the evaporator unit entering the engine. Most I think agreed that while running it would be like water injection although poorly atomized. The issue I think was when sitting and all the water would continue to drip into the non-running engine. If you do a search I think you'll find a thread on this dating back a year or two.

A nice alternative would be a cast evaporator unit where the slid plate goes. If it was a solid cast or billet aluminum housing it would hold up to a pretty good strike from road debris. Then plumb it into the A/C unit and you

Shikaroka
08-30-2006, 10:27
[QUOTE=TurboDiverArt]Go with the Air-to-Air, simpler and cheaper although it

TurboDiverArt
08-30-2006, 12:16
Yeh, exactly!

Now I need to decide if it's worth it.
I don't tow very heavy loads and don't tow all that often. Would I see a performance benefit from an intercooler? I'd like to get a few more horsies, a little better MPG, and more longevity from the motor. Should I do it? Is it worth the $300-$500?

And, do you think 22"x7.8"x3.5" is big enough? I found a good deal on one this size.
If I don't use it on the Burb, I might get it and use it on my Passat TDI.
I can