PDA

View Full Version : Violent Front End Shakes

Dennis Stewart
08-15-2006, 06:34
I own a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab, Short Bed. Right after I bought the truck I had a 6" Superlift lift kit installed along with 315-75R16 BFG All Terrains. The problem I have, almost since I installed the lift, is that when I am driving at about 50 MPH the front end starts to shake so violently that I have to come almost to a complete stop before the truck stops shaking, It feels like the entire front end is going to explode. I took it to the dealer to have the front end aligned and they told me that because of the lift kit and large tires that they could only align it to a certain degree. I recently took it in for service and they told me that the tie rod is wearing and needs to be replaced, I also had the wheel bearings looked at and was told that they are OK. My question is, has anyone else had this problem and what can be done to eliminate it (aftermarket parts, etc. to strengthen/stabilize the front end).

Please Help

More Power
08-22-2006, 13:23
Superlift has a good reputation among the lift community. Here are some thoughts I have about why your truck is behaving the way it is.

1- You may be using wheels with the wrong backspacing. This puts the center of pivot inside or outside the balljoint center of rotation.

2- Caster/camber are not within specs. Caster is the more important of the two, and which helps keep the tires/wheels pointed in the direction of travel.

3- Tow in/out not correct.

4- Worn balljoints, tie rods, idler arm, Pittman arm.

I'd contact Superlift, and get their advice. My guess is they've heard of this problem before and will be able to quickly point you in the right direction. :)

Jim

StrangeEngine
08-22-2006, 14:36
This is very likely a tire balance issue. Have the fronts rebalanced before you do anything else. It's cheap.

- Mark