PDA

View Full Version : Injectors

atmdoc
08-15-2006, 16:15
I've got approx 170k miles on my burb now. It doesn't seem to have the same get up and go as it had when I bought it last year w/120k on it. IP was replaced at 114k at dealer for previous owner. I was thinking that the injectors are getting tired. Sound right? If so should I get stock injectors or the marine/high performance ones? Since I don't tow, I'm more interested in fuel economy. Suggestions?

Robyn
08-15-2006, 16:46
Use the stock injectors.
Their really is no such thing as marine injectors as far as I can find out from the rebuilders. I think that is some shops selling/marketing tool.
The injectors loose pop pressure and the spray pattern goes away. I have a 94 that getting that way.
My other one has a fresh engine courtesy of my two little paws and its sweet and cackles along nicely. Heck in the AM this summer I can get it to fire without even waiting for the GP's to heat much

Robyn

farmboy1989
08-15-2006, 20:13
At your mileage, a timing chain would be something good to change. It might "liven up" your engine and also give you that economy your looking for.

Bnave95
08-16-2006, 01:57
Replacing injectors a good ideal.Chain also. Have timing checked.
A Clean filter and make sure lift pump is doing it's job.

stingthieves
08-16-2006, 06:29
Use the stock injectors.
Their really is no such thing as marine injectors as far as I can find out from the rebuilders. I think that is some shops selling/marketing tool.

Robyn

NOT to be confrontive here as I have been very impressed at your direct and clear advice. But I think you might want to check with Kennedy on this one!
He doesn't call his "marine" injectors but his Hi pop injectors work very well and IMO are worth the couple of extra bucks for such a PIA job. But I am just a simple user here so it

Robyn
08-16-2006, 08:44
I agree
You are correct 100%
Many outfits offer high pop injectors. These will give a slightly finer spray and some folks believe a better burn.
My only point was that I have not been able to find any Formal reference to "marine" injectors with any of my big suppliers.
Kennedy has good stuff and is good people to deal with.
I had the squirts in my 94 set up to the very top of the spec. The tech I contacted in Portland was very happy to set them all to the top side and would have gone more but I did not feel the need to go beyond top spec.
I have seen several postings here that folks seem to think that the "marine injectors deliver more fuel. The IP is the delivery boy the injector is just the faucet that gets it in the engine.
keep up the great work guys and if ya see something that you disagree with say something as this is how we all learn

ronniejoe
08-16-2006, 11:27
Kennedy's do have larger flow area as well... Not just a marketing ploy.

john8662
08-16-2006, 12:13
I agree, there is a marine injector. I have a couple of sets of them. Took one of the used sets apart (one injector) to verify that the nozzle was indeed different, it was. The ones I have are Bully Dog.

As said previously, for this replacement project, go stock fresh injectors, which are sufficient in almost every way.

atmdoc
08-17-2006, 16:49
Thanks to all for info.

Robyn
08-17-2006, 18:13
Robyn makes a note to bring the local diesel pump guys up to speed on this.
I dont like being in the dark. Thanks for sharing this info John