PDA

View Full Version : Is it good to have timing checked from time to time????

Vandermax
08-15-2006, 16:23
I get a loud chadder every time I start my 98 burb, and then it clears up after 20 seconds or so. My 94 does not sound like this at start up, so I was wondering if I should check my timing, and make sure its where it should be?? I had a new pump at about 110,000 and now I have 155,000. Is it better to have the timing retarded a touch, or advanced?? or pu to factory specs. I have a new exhaust, and a cold air ram air. I was also wonderin if I should turn the pump up a touch, to benefit from the mods??? Any insights would be appreciated!!! Thanks

Robyn
08-15-2006, 16:42
The timing is all electronically controlled by the ECM and needs to be set to spec by a tech tool.
this "Chadder" are you speaking of diesel rattle??
RC

Vandermax
08-15-2006, 19:35
I was reading Jim Biglys more power section when he put the new rebuilt 6.5 in the 89 truck, and he said that when he fired it up there was a strong rattle for the first few seconds that went away . He then said that he needed to back down the timing a touch and then it was normal.

Petrella
08-15-2006, 20:09
I think thats because he has a mechanical fuel injection pump on his 6.5. Yours is electronic.

Bnave95
08-16-2006, 01:47
When cold the pcm will advance the timing making it rattle more. The timing on the 94 could be different. The only way to tell would be to have both checked to see what the TDCO setting is. My self I like the -1.95 TDCO learn.
It rattles more like a direct injection eng.. When really could it's almost spooky:D