PDA

View Full Version : Biodiesel

mcwhitsitt
08-16-2006, 13:48
Anyone had any experience running 100% Bio in a Duramax? I running a '05 3500 dually. 16,000 mi. Like everyone else looking for less expensive alternatives. Banks air system, Predator (Tow Mode) but mileage still around 15mpg @ 60-70. Bio may be an alternative.

ISEEDIT
08-16-2006, 17:21
Take a look ~ MNSOY.COM There are farmers using 99.9 % pure in older diesels but haven't heard about that pure a blend in a new DMAX. Can't buy 100% as that takes special permits and fed regs. I have used B20 in mine (1 tank - no noticable difference in power, smoke or mpg, just a few cents cheaper on a tank full). MN uses 2% blend in all diesel sold in the state, helps w/lubrisity. State is looking to increase to 10% in next few years and higher blends of ethanal in the future also.

Bill Voitel
08-16-2006, 18:47
My Buddy that is in on the bio fuel project with me has an 05 Max he has run 5 tanks of B-100 with no ill effects. Making it from used fryer oil, can tell no diff in power or fuel usage. We don't have a gallon meter on our dispenser to tell exactly how many gallons we are pumping in. A side note I have run 8 tanks through my PSD runs much quieter and on the oil change this weekend oil was much cleaner @ 4500 miles then it has ever been on petro diesel. I judged this by how hard it is to wash off my hands, I know not very scientific but it seemes not to penetrate into the skin like it did B-4 the bio. Next change I will sent a sampel off to Blackstone to see what is happening. wanted to get a complet oil cycle on bio to send off instead on bio & petro diesel mix.

mcwhitsitt
08-17-2006, 15:10
Thanks for the input. Thinking about brewing my own use the set up I read about in diesel world magazine and running about a 50/50 mix to start. Just wondered how others are fairing. Also noticed someone pushing SVO on the net. I'm not sure I trust their claims saying to just add a bottle of their snake oil and hit the road. Bio might be ok though. Gotta find a way to fight the oil companies........costing me 700 / month just to get to work.

Prestonia24
08-21-2006, 01:12
Thanks for the input. Thinking about brewing my own use the set up I read about in diesel world magazine and running about a 50/50 mix to start. Just wondered how others are fairing. Also noticed someone pushing SVO on the net. I'm not sure I trust their claims saying to just add a bottle of their snake oil and hit the road. Bio might be ok though. Gotta find a way to fight the oil companies........costing me 700 / month just to get to work.

How much trouble you think that B100 (with the higher viscosity) gives problems when used in the high pressure common rail bosch injectors?

I've heard that some have had no issues with it, but then again, a diesel engine is really really really expensive to replace, especially since GM isn't going to warrant it's use in your fuel system, as Bio is only classified as a 'developmental fuel' as of Current...

Looking around GM websites with BioDiesel as my search term, i came up with this

http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/adv_tech/100_news/dur_030305.html

Preliminary testing shows composite fuel economy of 20.2 mpg - an advantage of more than 2 mpg when compared against the primary competitor. That's approximately 85 fewer gallons of fuel used during 15,000 miles of travel. The Duramax 6600 also is compatible with biodiesel fuel.

Kennedy
08-21-2006, 05:34
I've run B20 and B30 in my trucks when I can get the B100 (B99) to do the blending. I'm not ready to explore stronger blends as teh B20-30 does what I want it to do-take the stink out.

Just be sure to filter the everloving crap out of it and keep it stored in a clean, dry, sealed container...

mjammer
08-21-2006, 09:53
I have access to B-20 at an AG Plus station across from work. Would this be OK for my '05 LLY and what about the manuals statement of B-5? Also, what about fuel treatments? I use FPPF Total Power now.

mcwhitsitt
08-23-2006, 07:47
Thanks for the input. If I dedide to go that route you can be assured it will be filtered and properly stored. Just have to do something. Fuel costs are ridicilous making it difficult to even get to work. I have installed the Banks Air System and plan to do the exhaust this week. Tried the predator tuner but that didn't help the mileage at all. Lots of power in two and performance settings but lots of black smoke when you stand on it and it screwed up the calculations on the onboard computer (gallons used 25% off, mileage indications 25% off and even odometer 10-15% off. Haven't done the high settings and don't plan to. Restored factory setting..........no more black smoke, less power but accurrate computer. Truck only has 16,000 on it ('05 3500 dually extended cab) and hoping mileage will come up as it breaks in.

rob from bc canada
08-23-2006, 08:06
I don't use bio, but as to the mileage coming up as it breaks in:

My experience so far with 12,000 miles on mine, having recorded and calculated every tankfull, I got around 17.5 mpg first 3 tankfulls, and the best I've ever done on any fillup since is 18 mpg.

This is for about 80% highway, 20% local driving on Vancouver Island. Speed limits are 60 or 70. If I go over 70 it drops off dramatically. I tend to drive for mileage, easy stops and starts, even speed, etc.

When I put my 3000 lb+ full basement camper on, I can get 12.5 or 13 depending on hills, and how I drive. That has not improved either.