PDA

View Full Version : New 06 OEM towing mirrors vs Shaffenacker

cowboywildbill
08-17-2006, 12:05
We have the new OEM towing mirrors on our 06. I kept the TTT Shaffenakers that I had put on our 02. We traded the 02 in for the 06. I just recieved the "diplexer" wiring harness for the TTT's to work with the 06 harness. I like the new OEM mirrors a lot, they are 300% better than any previous OEM mirrors GM had to offer. However I am going to put the TTT's on and run them for a while. The TTT's were steady at highway speeds. The OEM's have a little shake in them from the wind at speed. And then I will decide which one's to keep. Has anyone else compared the two? Let us know what you think.

STPETEBLUE
08-17-2006, 17:20
Have not heard of Shaffenakers. Where did you get them? Pics?

cabletech
08-17-2006, 17:28
http://www.ttt-mirror.com/

Kennedy
08-17-2006, 20:16
IMHO, the 2006 OE mirrors are too crooked looking. They tip in at the top. I've not tried to tow with them, but have had feedback that they pale in comparison to the Schefenackers...

cowboywildbill
08-18-2006, 04:31
John, I agree, I have towed with the OEM's and they are pretty good. I think the TTT's are better though and give a little wider view around the trailer. I also notice that when making a hard right turn in a situation where you have to worry about running a long gooseneck trailer over a curb or sign, that you can see your trailer tires and hazzard easier in the TTT's. I seem to lose view of trailer more with OEM's.

AB_DURAMAX
08-18-2006, 15:36
Has anyone installed the TTT's on a 2001 ??? I need to know if the signal led's in the mirror will work with my 2001 or do I need to stick with just the power/heated ones??

FIRESCOOBY
08-18-2006, 15:55
Interested in selling the OEM towing mirrors?

My future truck (within the next month) is being acquirred by my dealer. It has the power folding mirrors and they are adding the towing mirrors for $400. If you'd like to sell your for less than that and they are in new condition...I'll buy them.

STPETEBLUE
08-19-2006, 17:19
Interested in selling the OEM towing mirrors?

My future truck (within the next month) is being acquirred by my dealer. It has the power folding mirrors and they are adding the towing mirrors for $400. If you'd like to sell your for less than that and they are in new condition...I'll buy them.X2. Best price I've gotten for new is $182 each plus local tax (no shipping).

Idle_Chatter
08-19-2006, 21:12
Has anyone installed the TTT's on a 2001 ??? I need to know if the signal led's in the mirror will work with my 2001 or do I need to stick with just the power/heated ones??

I've got TTTs on my 2001. Signals, markers, heat and power adjustment all work. I had to get "creative" in my wiring as the directions weren't exactly accurate, but got it all sorted out after I had to run a wire all the way across from the passenger fuseblock to the driver's side under the dash.

AB_DURAMAX
08-21-2006, 12:37
Thanks Idle_Chatter, I appreciate the reply.

cowboywildbill
08-23-2006, 10:19
Thanks for the replies, I am waiting for my light kit to come. Then I will change them out. I'll let you know what happens.

cowboywildbill
08-25-2006, 19:49
Well I put the Shaffenekers on today. I had to trim my Stampede vent shades so the Shaff's would fit. The Shaff's are a little taller where they bolt up, and the vent shades interfeared with it at the top tip of the post.
The Shaff's have a better field of view. I do have a little shake in my passenger side mirror though.
I will have to pull the glass out and check the damper springs behind it. They might have come loose or something while I had them off and stored " laying on there sides".

Kennedy
08-26-2006, 10:32
I agree on the better field of view. I had a truck in on the dyno with the 06 mirrors and from behind the wheel they aren't impressive at all...

cowboywildbill
08-26-2006, 19:26
I even like the view from the Shaff's spot mirror better. Even though it is smaller in size and not as wide as the factory mirror is it still gives a better panorama view of the rear truck tires and still shows out to the other lane better. I guess it is the way they are curved.
Just picking up the stock mirror and then picking up the Shaff's you can feel the difference. The Shaffs are heavier and feel more solid.
John I need to give you a call and do the EGR thing on this 06.

FBJR
02-14-2007, 21:13
Who has the best price on the Schafenacker mirrors. Looks like the going price is around $530 :eek: I have an 06 with the Regular mirrors but they don't cut it with a 102 wide trailer I just got even with slip ons.

I have a set of the GM towing mirrors too and was thinking of using them, but they look like sails out there!! :o

Maybe by selling both of them it would offset the Schafenacker purchase. Both are powered, heated and the standards are folding too! (Offers?)

By the way, do the Schafenacker mirrors have a folding option? I found I like that!

FB

cowboywildbill
02-15-2007, 05:47
The Shaffs do fold toward the front and rear, and can also be manually extended and retracted. Check out J.K.'s sight he can help you with the Sheffenackers.

Dwight
02-23-2007, 19:58
I replaced the factory folding mirror units with TTT units on my '06 and they go out wider than the factory units if you are pulling a wide trailer or RV. I have no use for my '06 factory foldout mirrors - any offers?