PDA

View Full Version : Getting Center Pin Hot

fire22dirver
08-18-2006, 11:13
How do I get the center pin to the trailer accessories hot? The set up is different than my old gasser (single battery) which was simply put a fuse in post 1, of the fuse panel under the hood. With the D-max (dual battery) the owners manual says to use post 2, there is a fuse installed there but no power to my center pin. Am I missing something?

Thanks for any info...

DmaxMaverick
08-18-2006, 12:53
What year truck?

The fuse locations (and fuse types) changed for M/Y 2003. Was your gasser a 1500? They are different, regardless of year.

Test the fuse slots for voltage. It should be hot, under any condition, key on or off.

fire22dirver
08-18-2006, 13:50
My D-max is an 05
The gasser was an 03 2500
The oweners manual shows the fuse pannel under the hood on the drivers side.
thanks for your reply

DmaxMaverick
08-18-2006, 14:36
The 2500 is wired like the 1500, different than the 2500HD and 3500. The fuse box the power circuit is in is the one under the hood, over the driver side wheel well. You should have received a brake control wire harness if you have the towing package. Attached to the harness should be a fuse, along with instructions and a diagram, including where you need to place the fuse. That fuse is only for 12V trailer supply.

WhiteTruck
08-19-2006, 08:24
Are you referring to the center pin of the trailer connector? The 7 way RV style plug uses the center pin for backup lights, therefore is hot only in reverse. There is a lengend moulded in the cover identifying the terminals. The terminal at the 1:00 O'clock position is normally used as a B+ feed.

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2006, 10:53
Doh!! Missed that! Thanks, WT.

Yes. 1 o'clock is the trailer charge pole. Click on the link in my sig "Truck Stuff Pics", and select the "diagrams" album. There is a diagram of the truck end RV plug.

Stlheadake
08-26-2006, 05:06
I wired my 06 for trailer brakes real quickly, I just had to plug in the pig tail for the brake controller, and then make the 4 wire connection and BAM I was in business. Couldn't have been easier. I didn't have to put the fuse in or anything.

My dad's 06 LBZ proved a little more challenging. Plugged his in, and wire it up and nothing. No brake contoller, nothing at the plug. Checked wiring, checked controller, still nothing. It turned out that his fuse was blown under the hood. Not sure when or how it blew, but a quick change and he too was in business.

Just my two different experiences with the same trucks.