PDA

View Full Version : Can new '07 go offroad

Trailboss
08-18-2006, 19:04
I want to buy the '07 2500 Duramax. Is there a way to transform/order the '07 to a ride that is NOT for towing, but rather a ride that will have long suspension and say 36" tires for trail roads and still work the highways? I don't plan on doing any towing.
My old K5 has gone thru parts and I am hoping that the 3/4 ton has strength to spare. ?

Mark Rinker
08-19-2006, 17:03
I think the extended cab, short box chassis is a good compromise of modern cab space expectations, with offroad capabilities.

As for suspension setups to accomodate large tires, I'd look to the industry leaders like http://www.camburg.com/new.html or http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspension_gm_SILVERADO.html

The Duramax/Allison combo is a heavy brute - certainly capable of hauling itself up any reasonable firm grade in 4LO, but I doubt that you are going to set any records in mud or sand with that heavy combo up front over the tires. I have had my DMaxes stuck in both hunting (mud, water) and snowbound conditions - and it doesn't take much. Getting them unstuck is interesting as well, unless you have another diesel truck or better yet a tractor handy.

For pure offroad fun, wider powerband to accomodate large diameter tires, and high winding top end for 'keeping them spinning' in low traction conditions, I'd prefer a short wheel based, overpowered gasser for OFFROADING anyday.

Don't get rid of that old K5 just yet...keep it around for a 'shotgun/mud truck' and drive your Dmax on the street.

(Ready for the arrows...let 'em fly...:)

SoTxPollock
08-22-2006, 10:17
Trailboss, I saw a program on Speed channel not too long ago where Robby Gordon ran a Hummer in the Baha run, I think he won. Now thats heavy. I have to agree with Mark, the D/A combination is so heavy, you wont win any off road races with it if its muddy. I've seen a two wheel drive diesel get stuck in wet grass trying to turn around off the edge of a highway.