PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plugs (AC-60G?)

Rot Box
08-19-2006, 08:35
With winter around the corner I figure i better swap out my glow plugs. I was wondering if AC-60G's are still the best available? I just want to run the best I can. Also (first timer changing the 6.5L's plugs) it looks like I need to remove turbo down pipe :confused: If so I'll just upgrade to a aftermarket one while I'm at it. I'm always open to any sugestions so please let me know what ya think Thanks

MTTwister
08-19-2006, 10:13
I put in the 60G's, with that requiring the extended Glow Plug timing option. Various ways to do that.

I did drop the downpipe to get at # 6, but might have been able to access it without - would have been a bigger pain - and if you have the original down pipe - a new 'straight' no -crinkled one would be a good idea. ( #8, I got to from below - amazingly accessible from down there)

Someone who's running the Quick Heats can tell you if you need to extend the glow cycle for them, I 'm thinking - 'not'.

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2006, 11:25
All glow plugs are not created equal. Not just by design and reliability, but in function, as well.

AC60G's are good plugs. They do require a longer glow cycle, though. If you are now at OEM glow cycle, you will likely need to extend that time to get effective starting during winter.

Quick Heats....
Excellent plugs. The do not require an extended glow time, and are very reliable and long lasting. Even at OEM glow cycle, they will get hotter than the 60's can under any circumstances. This is really helpful during cold winter starts. The healthier your glow system is, the less strain on the starting system and batteries.

Some local Diesel performance shops stock quick heat type plugs, but be wary. Some of them are inferior knock-offs, like many sold on Ebay.

11G's....
Another good plug. They heat quickly, and are fair in the heat range. They will not swell when they fail, but tend to fail more often. If you get plugs locally, get 11G's if you do not adjust your glow cycle.

Bottom line....
If you stay with 60G's, extend your glow time. This works fine, but extends your starting time considerably.

Get AC11G's (AC brand, no aftermarket!), and a couple spares. These can be sourced from the GM dealer, and many auto parts stores.

Get Quick Heats from JK and be done with it. If you have one fail, he'll stand behind it.

Rot Box
08-19-2006, 18:50
Thanks you guy's ;) I was unaware that I would need a longer cycle with the 60G's untill now. I am going to look into the quick heats because I know that JK doesn't mess around with inferior products, and I won't have to deal with a converting to a longer plug cycle. I'm just scared to death that my stock plugs won't come out :confused:
P.S. I went ahead and did myself a favor by ordering a new down pipe from BD. I just figured the glow plug access issue was a good excuse for me to finally get one :cool:

ogrice
08-20-2006, 02:51
Don't forget the wiring. I home made the harness from relay to plugs and it made a big difference in starting. Glow plugs need current to work. Extending the glow cycle helps out by keeping the plugs on longer so they reach their max temp, but factory 14 ga. won't cut it after time. The insulation gets messed up and the thin strands waste a lot of current. 10 ga. is better than 14 ga. Gotta make sure that as much current as possible is flowing to the glow plugs. If you haven't done so, make sure tht you get the biggest batteries available, i.e. 2 optima redtops and change out those tired factory wires with brand new thick gauge wires and connectors. Cost me a whole $10 + time to make my wiring harness from scratch.

Rot Box
08-21-2006, 09:26
I really appreciate all the input. I am ordering new plugs today, and going to go through my cables (battery) and clean them up before winter hits as well. My truck came with 2 brand new Delco batteries that work great, but when there dead I'm getting Optima's for sure. I figure I'll do everything I can to my truck to get it ready for the cold season. Do you want to know what's worse than working on a truck in the driveway in the middle of winter?..................... NOT A DANG THING! :D