PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with 1990 6.2 brackets

darkroad
08-21-2006, 21:13
Hi I am putting my 1990 V2500 6.2 NA diesel back together after a re-ring rebuild. I am having trouble getting all the brackets aligned correctly. I have a GM shop manual and its helps some but not really enough detail to see exact order of assembly. Like stud, bracket next. nut. another bracket, shim etc. Any pictures of anybodies rebuild as it progresses thru the stages from start to finish that I can look at to see how it all goes? Mine has the v-pulleys so I want to get them as lined up as possible.
As usual I didn't do what I said I was. I was going to take digital pics as I went along and bag and tag everything but just didn't seem to have enough time once I started tearing it all down.
If all goes well am going to fire that puppy up wed night.

Thanks

Darkroad

john8662
08-22-2006, 17:18
Check this image out, this might help.

Click on it to get a really really large version so you can actually see the bolts. The main part is getting the brackets in place, the rest goes easily.

Also, as a general trick I've been using, take some cardboard and poke the bolts and mark where they go, that makes it easier during assembly. I actually draw an image on mine to remind me exactly what length bolt went where, makes it less frustrating.

http://members.cox.net/trialanderror/brackets/brackets-a.jpg (http://members.cox.net/trialanderror/brackets/brackets-b.jpg)

darkroad
08-22-2006, 18:32
Thanks for the pic. I just got it figured out this afternoon. I have a GM service manual but the pics were so small that you really couldn't makr them out.

So I went down to our local GM dealership parts dept and asked them if I could see their blow apart for the power steering and ac brackets, I have a pretty good relationship with them as I have 4 suburbans so I see them a lot. They gladly blew them up and printed them out. I thanked them and went home and figured it out. I do find myself more and more checking with them about part prices, sometimes I am surprised that they are lower than the parts store. They never get mad if I dont buy from them in fact they often point me to a cheaper source that they buy from themselves sometimes.

One piece of advice. If you use a crankshaft snout repair kit for a worn seal area on the crank, it will keep the crank balancer from bottoming out the same as before. It moved my bottom balancer assembly out about 1/16 of an inch. I ended up having to shim out the brackets to keep the v-belts as lined up as possible.

Again thanks for the reply
Darkroad