PDA

View Full Version : Knock, Knock

wilpulu
11-26-2003, 09:02
It's pretty cold out this morning. I just started my truck and she seemed to knock pretty noticeabely. Cleared up though once it got a little warm...should I be concerned? Apparently it has about 50k on a rebuild but I have no documentation. It was not the normal diesel clatter which I know is louder when cold. It was a definite knock.

damork
11-26-2003, 11:37
It sounds like you may have an injector sticking open a bit. Normal troubleshooting is to loosen the lines one at a time, when you reach the cylinder with the leaking/faulty injector, the knock will go away.

wilpulu
11-26-2003, 12:28
The new injectors have about 6k on them. I really hope they are not sticking already. I'll try some additive and see if that cures the problem.

n3qik
11-27-2003, 16:44
How cold was it? Had it plugged in? If so, maybe the heater/plug on cord is not working. At 40 Deg. I can hear a big diffance in sound when I forget to plug it in.

Kidd
11-27-2003, 19:07
Is it possible you have a bad glow plug? Mine used to knock on cold start till I replaced the dead one. Once it warmed up a bit then they all would fire and it would sound OK.
KD