PDA

View Full Version : Engine Won't Always "Wake Up"

joed
08-22-2006, 06:57
I've done a search and don't come up with this exactly so...

Lately I've been fighting and issue where my engine won't always respond immediately after coasting. It will sometimes take a few seconds of applying the throttle before fuel starts getting injected again. This also happens after I shift (5spd man.) - I let the clutch out, step on the throttle and nothing, a few seconds go by and then it runs again. Also, the cruise will sometimes drop out after going downhill - when you start climbing again the cruise doesn't re-apply the throttle as it should to maintain the set speed.

This seems to be worse when towing/working the engine harder - especially the no response after shifting episodes.

I've also been getting 2 codes with this - code 1216 and code 216 (the SES light has actually come on - it has set going downhill after climbing).

Does this point to bad PCM, IP, FSD, or none of the above. I doubt it's the FSD as I have a remote mount Heath unit, less than a year old.

Any thoughts? Thanks. Joe.

JohnC
08-22-2006, 14:51
P1216 is a fuel solenoid code. The FSD can cause this, also the solenoid itself. Try a heavy dose of fuel system conditioner. If that doesn't do it, if you can, try another FSD, otherwise I think the pump is on borrowed time.

joed
08-24-2006, 07:04
Thanks for the info. I've been fighting this 1216 code for over a year now, but the 216 is more recent.

As for the pump, it shouldn't be bad yet - only has about 30K on it (was replaced under GM's extended warranty). 'Course, I guess it could have been set up wrong from the get go...

Speaking of trying the another FSD, I'd like to try hooking back up to the stock pump mounted one to elimate any glitches in the extension harness, etc.

Has anyone successfully hooked one back up without removing the intake? Any tricks?

Thanks. Joe

JohnC
08-24-2006, 09:52
Has anyone successfully hooked one back up without removing the intake?

I was unsuccessfull at this. Ended up bending a pin in the FSD. You may have better luck...

Don't know much about P0216. Sounds like a stepper motor problem.

rjwest
08-24-2006, 13:40
P0216 Injection timing control circuit:
It is the circuit/control that adjusts the advance/retart of the injector pump.

Conditions that set code: Engine speed has not changed
more than 56 rpm for 20.8 seconds
and
a 5 degree diferance between Act inj timing and Des inj timing,

The trouble shoot procedure is rether involved...

Check all connections, to IP ( stepper motor ) and also
crankshaft position sensor,

If you have anyone with a scan tool you may want to check IP timing Desired/actual.

joed
08-24-2006, 15:19
Thanks for the code info. I've actually got the carcode software - the desired and actual seem to track very closely, albeit my timing seems to always run higher than what others report - it seems to go from 17 at cold idle down to 13 at warm idle. TDC offset is at -1.94. Maybe this is due to my higher altitude?

The seemingly odd thing is that when the SES light has come on for the 0216, it always been going downhill with no load (throttle) applied. It's like the timing is stuck in the advanced position?

I guess next step is to check connections and the crank sensor.