PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt NV4500 Pops out of OD

HH
08-22-2006, 10:10
I had my NV4500 rebuilt, due to unusual noises (found the last time it was rebuilt the nut on the end of the main shaft was loose), got it back and I installed it, drove for 100 miles and then could not get it into low, and there was a clicking noise coming from the transmission on deceleration only in OD/5th. I brought it back to the shop, they replaced a broken syncro (which I thought they orgininally replaced all the syncros and bearings) for the low gear and replaced a main shaft for the OD/5th gear, now it pops out of OD 5th gear. I am getting resistance from this shop on replacing any more parts. I am ready to tell them to give me my money back.

What could have been done wrong when the OD/5th gear main shaft was replaced? It NEVER popped out of the OD/5th gear before.

Scrufdog
08-22-2006, 10:21
not sure if this will help, but I've read about having to use lock tight on a nut that involves 5th gear on those trannies. Maybe do a search and see what you can find.

Hubert
08-22-2006, 12:25
Go to quad4x4.com and read about the NV4500. They have a solution to loosing 5th gear. Yep its something about the Nut on the 5th gear shaft or something like that. Good thing it doesn't sound fatal.

Tough luck. Sounds like they should stand behind the rebuild or give you your money back as installation is not rocket science (I did it). You could not have altered anything in the case just installing it. What is basis for no warranty? They might not have expertise on the NV4500. You might have to find another shop and argue you are out labor and time taking it out 2 additional times at your expense and they should pay for 3rd rebuild!!!! Good luck with that.

HH
08-23-2006, 07:30
I have read the Quad article, first place I went when I started having problems. Not sure if that is the problem. It worked fine until they took it apart the second time, and replaced the low syncro and the 5th gear main shaft. I guess it may be the gear is not installed correctly on the shaft and is not engaging correctly. 5th gear/OD works fine, but it pops out on deceleration.

Hubert
08-23-2006, 08:57
Decelleration is when the back off and disengaging occurs to my understanding. Seems like gear mesh would be a problem and cause pop out if not secure. I would expect there are variing degrees of the problem.

Sounds like a common known failure and the shop should have addressed it. May have just missed it on 2nd assembly????

I'd start with that and negotiations on reimbursement or independant rebuild. One of the best trans. shops I know sends work out for rebuild.

johnanc
08-23-2006, 18:25
Check out the Quad4x4 website for help with your 5th gear problem.