PDA

View Full Version : Allison upgrades for mild tune?

FBJR
08-23-2006, 13:24
I have a new LBZ and love it so far. Have put the Diablo 65HP tune installed with 33" Nitto tires. Also added a 4" cat back.

Power is great and it even smoked the tires just pulling into traffic yesterday :p Mileage is good and I expect even better with a few more K on her.

So my real question is since I have upped the tire size and added a small tune with exhaust, what is an easy upgrade for the Allison 1000 so I don't hurt it?

Is there an easy trans kit that will allow more torque before I get the dreaded "Limp" I hear about so much? Probably more in the area of a shift kit. That I can do easy.

I would love to add a little more HP even though I tend to be pretty easy on the truck most of the time. When I want power I like power :D

THX

More Power
08-24-2006, 12:10
Clint Cannon of ATS replies:

The Co-Pilot for the new 6 Speed is fantastic and very easy to install. Add the pan at the same time allows for easy service and additional fluid capacity. Here is a link to the page.
http://www.atsdiesel.com/atswebsite/ProductsGM/CoPilot.asp

If you need anymore info please give one of us a call.

I've also contacted Suncoast. I'll post their reply when it arrives.

Jim

FBJR
08-24-2006, 14:57
Thanks, but I wasn't looking to spend quite that much :o

Not trying to be cheap either mind you.

FB

dmaxalliTech
08-24-2006, 19:50
The Transgo kit can be easily installed, only requires removal of the valve body and can be done by the DIY'r in just a few hours. With prices ranging in the low to mid 100.00 range, its also very affordable.

Keep in mind that the 06 is the only MY that allows install of the kit with out trans removal.

Heartbeat Hauler
08-25-2006, 07:24
Keep in mind that the 06 is the only MY that allows install of the kit with out trans removal.

OK, what does MY stand for (mid-Year)?
JP

DmaxMaverick
08-25-2006, 08:32
OK, what does MY stand for (mid-Year)?
JP

Model Year
(meaning the year on the title, not the actual date built)

Heartbeat Hauler
08-25-2006, 12:34
Ooooooh, well that makes sense...duh. I'd like to blame it on old age, but I wouldn't have figured it out 10 years ago either.....:D
Thanks.
JP

Kennedy
08-26-2006, 10:36
Also keep in mind that a $100 fix doesn't really go too far and if you push it, it will catch up to you in the long run. The TQ converter clutch also needs to be addressed among other things.

cowboywildbill
08-28-2006, 04:13
Does anyone know how much more HP & Torque the stock 06 MY Allison can safely take? I'm mostly looking at a towing tune.

FBJR
08-28-2006, 15:57
Thanks guys, that is more what I was thinking of. Not looking to really pump it up alot. I also plane on going to the 85 hp tune on the Diablo and getting the SS downpipe for the MBRP exhaust.

How will just a "shift kit" cost me in the long run though? Also is the stock TC that bad it really needs addressing?

Right now I don't tow but am looking for a nice 22' or so Toy Hauler.

FB

Heartbeat Hauler
08-30-2006, 14:05
Thanks guys, that is more what I was thinking of. Not looking to really pump it up alot. I also plane on going to the 85 hp tune on the Diablo and getting the SS downpipe for the MBRP exhaust.

How will just a "shift kit" cost me in the long run though? Also is the stock TC that bad it really needs addressing?

Right now I don't tow but am looking for a nice 22' or so Toy Hauler.

FB
I think if you are going to haul a 22' Toy-hauler with an 85hp tune that 100 dollar shift kit is probably not gonna last too long. Especially when you add in the gee whiz factor of how much fun it is to light the tires up when empty...:D I'm might consider a TCC upgrade as well as some clutches. You could also unload the tune, or decrease the HP to below 65hp when towing if you want some longevity. But, keep in mind I'm not just a conservative in my politics...;)
JP