PDA

View Full Version : 2005 LLY turned 1 year old...

Mark Rinker
08-23-2006, 23:20
Looking for my registration and realized a year had slipped by since my first DMax purchase. Have to say I am very pleased with this truck. 66,813 miles in 2383 hours behind the wheel.

No mechanical problems or warranty work, one set of new skins (which are almost due, again) still on the factory brake pads.

No oil use, nothing really to report. The truck has been pulling 10K loads almost constantly, its unusual that the gooseneck or boat trailer even gets unhooked, unless we are going to the lake for the weekend, then its pulling again...

We have put over 100K on the three DMaxes listed below, and replaced one starter on the '01...

mjammer
08-24-2006, 03:45
Awesome to know that they are built to last and handle the load. If it can handle what you put it through, the rest of us average users have little to worry about. Thanks for the update.

Mark Rinker
08-25-2006, 20:32
I dropped off the truck at a Seattle dealership and asked them to run diagnostics on the injectors, and a compression test across all cylinders.

Have noticed some variation in fuel mileage - although none of the classic signs of a plugged injector, no rise in oil levels, etc. Also the oil pressure under long hot conditions seems to dip lower than I recall...sometimes just south of 40lbs.

I jump back an forth between all three DMaxes, and there may be no cause for alarm. Could be differences in gauge calcuations, and normal fuel mileage fluctuations...nothing drastic, but my gut said to get things checked out sooner than later.

He is charging me two hours diagnostics, and if there is anything under warranty to fix, it will be included under the warranty and I pay $100 deductible.

I am very curious to see the results.

WILLYD-MAX
08-26-2006, 11:04
Mark..
Keep us posted. I read your posts with interest. You are subjecting your Duramaxes to real world testing. I have an 05 and dad has an 02 and they definatly run different. It is interesting seeing your experience with them:)

Mark Rinker
09-01-2006, 08:52
Results were fine. Return rates were spot-on, no codes, no reason for them to pull and examine any injectors. They did a 'injector flush' and replaced fuel filter.

Drove home from Portland, mileage was similar at about 10mpg loaded with tall boat (wind resistance) averaging 68mph.

Plan to sell or trade this truck, so won't do any mods under warranty but I think it simply needs the EGR mods, no cat, and larger exhaust due to the constant towing.

rob from bc canada
09-01-2006, 11:13
Mark, a few questions, if I may:

You tow hot and heavy, have you had overheating problems with your LLY, and have you done anything about it??

Do you happen to know if the cooling fan engages just off or full on, or is it a two-stage engagement, ie off, dull roar, and loud roar??? I heard that somewhere, but can't confirm it.

Mine has come on going up a couple of miles of 6% grade camper on 50-55mph, in 34C 95F OAT, with AC on, but not what I would call really loud. Temp guage did not show much above normal when it came on.

Is the lower mileage you're getting on the LLY attributable to heavier loads, or is that truck just that much less efficient than your other Dmaxes??

Mark Rinker
09-01-2006, 15:45
Hey Rob -

I must have the two stage fan, there is a definate LO/HI engagement, depending on temp and load.

Never have overheated the truck, but had one experience this summer towing heavy on a 100 degree F day into a headwind. Had sustained temps in the 230 range and constant fan clutch. Nasty, but the truck seemed to handle it.

Never have been able to solve the lower mileage - I attribute it to the emissions controls (EGR, Cat) but have chosen to leave the truck stock for the time being as its under warranty, and may be traded for a medium duty truck if load weights continue to increase...

Enjoyed touring through your province this summer...beautiful country!

Dihrdbowti
09-03-2006, 07:55
Mark,
Being the road as much as you are, are there any manufacturer options for your trucks that you don't have that you wished you would have added? or are they fully loaded?

Thanks