PDA

View Full Version : how to get to pmd

Truckie117
08-26-2006, 09:45
Hi Guys
How do you get to the pmd do you remove the air intake?
Did anyone ever use computer silver for heat sink instead of the pad that comes with the pmd?

Kennedy
08-26-2006, 10:27
We generally just abandon the old PMD on the pump. New PMD on FSD cooler and transfer pad provided plus extension and remote mount where there is good airflow.

Truckie117
08-26-2006, 10:52
Ok I got the connecdtor off the pump PMD and i am installing the cable i got from you John. should I use the pad that came with the pmd or can i use artic silver heat transfer compound and if so is it on the surrounding area and not the small diamond shaped diodes or what ever they are called

gwaidman
08-26-2006, 13:08
I made my own heat sink out of a 5/8" thick, 10"x14" plate of aluminum bolted on stand-offs a couple inches off my front skid plate. I tapped the aluminum, then polished the mating surface, and used heat-sink paste (don't recall the brand) that I got from a computer technician customer of mine, and torqued it to spec. I only did it at the end of May, so I guess I can't speak to it's longevity, but it functions perfectly with not so much as a hiccup since the install. The hardest part was unplugging the old FSD and plugging in the extension harness. I removed the top of the intake so I could get near it, then used a slot screwdriver to undo the keeper tabs on the connector. Before plugging in the new harness, I took into account the route it would follow so I would only have to snake a few inches of it rather than all 6 feet.

Truckie117
08-26-2006, 13:34
Ok I got the connecdtor off the pump PMD and i am installing the cable i got from you John. should I use the pad that came with the pmd or can i use artic silver heat transfer compound and if so is it on the surrounding area and not the small diamond shaped diodes or what ever they are called

Bnave95
08-27-2006, 03:23
Use the Pad,they are of a new design and work best.

Kennedy
08-27-2006, 16:42
I don't use the Stanadyne pad. We typically throw them out prior to shipping PMD's. I use the sticky pad from Beta. The alternative is dielectric grease or heat sink compound.