PDA

View Full Version : How fast is your 6.5? Mine's not very, but faster than stock!

john8662
08-27-2006, 18:19
Well, after a frantic last-minute fixin' on the '96 Tahoe, I mananged to get it ready to roll off to go to the drag strip.

I had been wanting to run it out there to see what the performance was on a slightly modified 6.5TD in a lighter Tahoe 4x4.

I ran a few runs at our local drag strip, which holds a "test and tune" friday every other weekend, so if I didn't get it going this week, it would have been another couple weeks wait again.

The rig and it's mods:

1996 K1500 Tahoe
6.5TD engine 4L80E transmission
10-bolt locked rear end
265/75 R16 rubber (tall)
3.42 gear ratio (yuck for go, great for fuel economy)

Engine mods:

-F series Upper intake manifold on top of S series EGR intake
-Mandrel Downpipe, deleted kitty cat, rest stock exhaust and muffler
-Amsoil foam airfilter in crapola flat panel air box (92-96)
-Heath reflash
-EGT/Boost gauges, pretty needles
-60g glowplugs (add about 5HP) :rolleyes:

Here is the ticket stub:

http://members.cox.net/trialanderror/96drag.jpg

I ran a few runs, this being the best (17.9), most were very low 18's.

Ignore the fella's run beside mine, he was on a motorcycle.. I did actually beat a slower motorcycle.

I really really should have installed the turbomaster before heading to the track, because once out there, there wasn't a chance. I needed a little more boost.

Boost was 11psi (12 if I watched it closely enough). Pulled hard up until it hit 3rd gear (about like the 6.2 did a few weekends ago).

I'm not going to make a habbit of this, because i know how it'll end, just wanted to know why the other tahoe's in town (2door's) can't keep up with me that have 350 vortec's in them :D

J

Warren96
08-28-2006, 06:48
Mine weighs in at almost 5500lbs. with my butt in the drivers seat,i sure wouldnt call that racing trim. Suburbans don't weigh much more do they? Will this truck be getting a gear drive?

Hubert
08-28-2006, 06:57
I can't read the ticket what was top speed?

I have to slowly wind mine up and it won't push much over 90 mph w/o a long level or downhill stretch. But it gets up to 65-70mph on most accel ramps ok. 60G glow plugs (adding 5hp is that a joke?)

My truck is slow as a snail but its a 5psd, the vac pump is going south, wastegate solenoid is questionable, and injectors are tired (3.73, 265/75R16). Tune up (needed), injectors, turbomaster, and gauges coming soon. Hopefully that will wake it back up some and I won't need an IP for a bit longer. Seems like everything passes me from light to light unless I push it harder (which I don't normally do). Whats depressing is see a Dodge, Ford, or Duramax pulling a stock trailer pull away easily. I tell myself they are auto's, into the pedal a bit more, and in a hurry I am not usually. I usually launch very soft (little to no go pedal) and the 2nd to 3rd shift kills me unless I put towards 1/2 right foot in it and run 2nd all the way to the top kind of slowly. Then I can pull away from some.

ronniejoe
08-28-2006, 08:39
Mine weighs in at almost 5500lbs. with my butt in the drivers seat,i sure wouldnt call that racing trim. Suburbans don't weigh much more do they? Will this truck be getting a gear drive?

My Suburban weighs over 6700 lb. by itself. Close to 7,000 with me in it (I'm tippin' the scales at about 250 now...need to lose 20 to 30 lb.)

Mark Rinker
08-28-2006, 10:06
Not bad at all! If you wanted to simply go faster for cheap, NOS would sure change things :)

If you want to go faster AND and tow regularly with 10-15% more power for the same overall cost/mile, trying propane fumigation - in a carefully controlled manner.

Here's my '01 LB7 on propane with boost at 25lbs...I have over 20K miles on towing heavy with propane at 20-25%. Cleaner oil, no black smoke, buku power. :) Note that the truck never even hits redline.

http://www.markrinkerenterprises.com/MVI_1783.AVI

john8662
08-28-2006, 11:39
Hmm, I can see the ticket just fine, but none the less, here are the numbers:

Reaction/Time: .024
60: 2.662
330: 7.464
1/8 Mile: 11.488
MPH (1/8): 61.14
1000: 14.977
1/4: 17.919
MPH (1/4): 76.88

So.. 17.919 seconds in the 1/4 mile at 76.88 MPH.

I did implement one more mod though.

I installed the "light driver mod" as I'm weighing in just shy of 170lbs.

Some fresh injectors and finishing the F series intake upgrade should help shave some time off, as well as installing the turbomaster and setting it to 15psi verses 11 currently.

and yes.. The 5hp on 60g's was a joke :D

john8662
08-28-2006, 11:45
Mark,

Thanks for the video.

I sure didn't realize how close the gears were in the Allison, you're sure blowing through the gears quick, nice run!

J

Mark Rinker
08-28-2006, 12:30
There is alot of turbo lag at first, then a long flat spot around 55. The acceleration from 20-50 is more than respectable... :)

Hubert
08-28-2006, 18:18
Thanks for typing in the text. Just so you guys know. There are still a few of us (not sure of % I imagine a fair bit since its a diesel / pickup forum) that are still on dial up internet and have old slow computers that do fine for text and simple downloads but things like the links and graphics are not as clear or easy to upload.

For instance the ticket is fuzzy to me. And I don't even try on video unless I have ~ 5-10 minutes to wait and then connection times out sometimes.

Dihrdbowti
08-29-2006, 07:02
My 96 has no problems getting to speed going up an on ramp or flat surfaces providing I'm not towing anything. Although sometimes climbing a pass like going from Reno to Tahoe over hwy 50 I struggle to maintain 55 and that's just the truck itself. Got my doors blown off by a Dmax the other day. Holy Frijoles he was fast. I don't think I was even to the crosswalk before he was completely through the intersection and gone...... You could briefly hear the amount of money he put into it as he was speeding away.. Hmmm maybe time for new injectors check the timing..

Rot Box
08-29-2006, 08:49
[QUOTE=Mark Rinker]Not bad at all! If you wanted to simply go faster for cheap, NOS would sure change things :)

If you want to go faster AND and tow regularly with 10-15% more power for the same overall cost/mile, trying propane fumigation - in a carefully controlled manner.

Here's my '01 LB7 on propane with boost at 25lbs...I have over 20K miles on towing heavy with propane at 20-25%. Cleaner oil, no black smoke, buku power. :) Note that the truck never even hits redline

:eek: Cool! thats the kind of stuff I like to see. Oh...just out of curiousity how come your Oil PSI almost redlines when you hammer down? do all Max's do that? Thats definatly a good thing to know your oil Pressure boosts when the rest of the truck does.

GoremanX
08-29-2006, 14:21
My '98 K2500 is a heck of a lot faster than I expected a diesel to be. I'm sure it helps to have 4.10 gears and mostly-stock tire size. The entire truck is completely stock except for some stainless steel braided brake hoses. When I floor the go-pedal, if the rear tires maintain traction, I can hit 60 mph in a respectable amount of time. I've never actually timed it, but it's a heck of a lot faster than my '93 Suburban C2500 with a 350HD and 3.73 gearing (also pretty much bone stock).

Last weekend, due to some unforeseen circumstances, I felt obligated to drive unsafely fast on the highway. I maintained about 90 mph for a good 2 hours straight, with occasional climbs to 100 mph. I easily could've maintained 100 mph the whole time, but things started to smell funny the closer I got to 3500 rpm. The temperature gauge also worried me a bit. So I stayed at around 90 mph most of the time and prayed that a speeding ticket wasn't in my near future (it wasn't). I was very impressed that the engine could so easily maintain such a high speed without any effort whatsoever. Even climbing hills! Especially since I've read so many comments on these forums about people who have trouble maintaining 70 mph up steep slopes.

In the very near future, I intend to change the 4.10 gears to 3.42's to help control fuel consumption. Bringing the rpms down just under 2000 at 70 mph would be a huge help.

Bnave95
08-30-2006, 02:38
Rat Box
Mark saying RPM redline:D With the propane system,the added power,there no need to redline the rpm for power;)

gmctd
08-30-2006, 08:23
Don't know how quantatively fast it would indicate, but after installing the v1.9 MaxEtork chip in my 8500lb dooley, it first cracked then sheared the flex-plate at the crank flange during\after some initial testing, then later split the intermediate sprag-clutch ring and shredded the sprag rollers during a full-throttle 1st-2nd shift.

The ole bud draft horse could kick, some.......................:D

Rot Box
08-30-2006, 11:00
Rat Box
Mark saying RPM redline:D With the propane system,the added power,there no need to redline the rpm for power;)

No no no.......I mean..... I know that :) , but if you watch his Oil PSI guage in the bottom corner it almost redlines when he hammers down....as in lots of oil pressure. Most vehicles I've been in maintain a steady Oil pressure even under heavy throttle. I was just wondering if that was a new thing with the D-max's to have more oil pressure under heavy loads :confused:
I don't know why I was thinking about that....just curious ;)