PDA

View Full Version : what difference does changing the fsd/pmd on 6.5TD make?

noelb
08-27-2006, 19:15
I have been hearing that changing the PMD/FSD on the 6.5TD can make more difference than just correcting starting stalling issues.

Why did you change your PMD and what difference did it make?

Did your engine run better was there any performance increase?

Comments please!

a5150nut
08-27-2006, 20:26
There is no choice. When one of these quits, it won't run at all. Stalling and stumbling are just signs it is going and it won't be long before there is a deffenite need to replace the PCM. When you reach this point it is best to isolate it from heat soak and in a cool location as it is heat that kills them. Just a minor weak point in GMs design..................

garre1tt
08-27-2006, 23:07
If you consider the vehicle runs again than mine doubled. I have replaced two PMD

noelb
08-28-2006, 06:08
I have read some of the reviews from some of the resalers of new PMD's and some of the people who have left reviews commented that apart from the obvious, eg. vehicle was running again, the owners stated that their vehicle actually seemed more responsive with a new PMD compared to what it was before the PMD failed, hence the reason for my question.

Hubert
08-28-2006, 06:12
If you can cool it some and really clean the connections up it will give an ittsy bitsy performance improvement just from better fuel solenoid control. Compared to a marginal working one that does not cause stall no start problems. But like the earlier posts were saying healthy performs a lot better than sick any day. Any performance oriented improvements with the Sol-D it doesn't get "hot"???

These DS pumps are not bad but man the electronics have to be happy to work nice. When its a 12v PCM/FSD system and even a few 5v reference signals a small voltage drop is a big percentage difference in optimum signal strength.