PDA

View Full Version : Common 06 LBZ quirks?

06LBZ
08-28-2006, 13:46
Hi , I just bought a new 06 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 LT3 with an LBZ a few weeks ago.
Unfortunately , I have already have a re occuring problem and turn to you guys and gals for help / info.

First ,the idler pulley and belt were replaced at 1400 miles by the dealership after it started chirping and squeeling whenever the engine was cold.While at the dealership , I was informed by the manager that the service department broke the tensioner assembly while attempting to replace my idler pulley.:mad:
The truck was ultimately fixed and released to me as " completed " yet the check engine light was illuminated! It was after hours so I had to troubleshoot it myself and I found a sensor that had been unplugged and stuffed under the air intake.How do you turn over a truck to a customer with the check engine light on?:mad:
Right after the service , I left on a 2000 mile roadtrip.
The problem went away for the first part of my 2000 mile drive but re surfaced again towards the end of the trip and now it is doing the same thing it did before servicing.:confused: The truck has almost 4000 miles on it now.

Is this a common problem? My truck will be back in the shop for the same thing for the second time in a 2 week period which leads me to believe that something else is causing the pulley to fail.:confused:
Anyone have this happen to them or know what's going on with it?

Second , there is a noise that sounds just like the high pitch whine of the turbo but it stutters badly , especially over bumps and it can be heard clearly with the radio off and windows up.
It sounds like the turbo is cutting in and out eratically but I realize it could be something completely different and unrelated to the turbo.
Anyone else have this noise or know what it is and IF it is even a problem?

This is the first Chevy I have ever owned and I must say that I am off to a very frustrating start.:(

Hopefully these are common issues that can be resolved quickly so I can enjoy my new truck instead of being on a first name basis with the service department.

I value your input , thanks in advance.

FBJR
08-28-2006, 15:25
I would say the pulley is a fluke and maybe another dealer may be the way to go for the second time around.

The whine could be a the turbo and simply how you hear it as wind does funny things to sounds when you are driving.

I have about 1000 miles on mine now with a Diablo tune and MRRP exhaust. I love the power and mileage.

FB

cabletech
08-28-2006, 15:26
I think you will find the fix for the belt chirp is to move the power steering pump pully in about 1/16". Thats what it took to fix mine. The dealer tried every thing GM told them too try with no luck. I told them about the pully move. They tried it and all has been good for the last 3500 miles. It seems that aany work on the belt will make the chirp go away for about 1500 miles.

Jay

06LBZ
08-28-2006, 16:02
Thanks for the input and I will bring up the power steering pulley suggestion to the dealership.

As far as the turbo whine sound ........ I have a friend with the same truck , same amount of miles on it , bought around the same time and used for pulling the same size trailer etc , it's actually kind of a funny coincidence.
He told me he also started hearing the same sound I described but not as frequently as I hear it.
Mine is ever present where his sound comes and goes.:confused:

I was hoping a few people here could chime in and let me know if they hear it on thier vehicles if they shut the radio off and listen for it that way I would know if it is normal or not.
I do not recall hearing that sound when the truck was new......

Barkbuster
08-29-2006, 02:24
my truck has less than 800 miles on it and the belt has been replaced twice, the 2nd time it was in they also replaced the AC compressor as it appeared to have a seal letting oil get on the belt. 110 miles after that service the belt is chirping again. All they did this time was clean it and the pulleys real good. I suspect when i pick it up later this morning it will be quiet for a hundred more miles and be singing its song in a day or 2. I rekon I`ll print this thread and show it to em and see what they think. I have been sugesting all along that something was misalined but nothing was changed cept he belt and AC unit.Hope they get it right so I can keep it a full week for once. thanks for the info l8r bb

06LBZ
08-29-2006, 06:12
Now that you mention it , I noticed a black residue that looked like oil , grease or rubber right around the idler pulley and belt.It wasn't there the first time but it is there now.

Anyone else have this squeeky belt / pulley problem?

Quack_Addict
08-29-2006, 08:00
I have 5000 miles on my 06 LBZ and have not had any belt squeak issues.

I do hear the shuttering, whining noise you mention when going over bumps. It is the turbo. Perhaps someone more 'in the know' than myself on Garrett turbos can chime in but I am guessing it has to do with the variable rate turbo they put on the LBZ or possibly even some shaft wobble in a fluid bearing. I would have to say it's normal - the LBZ is so quiet compared to other diesels turbo noise is going to be more evident.

Good luck on the belt issue - if I got my truck back from the stealer and the 'fix me' light on the dash was on, I'd start by taking it up with the Service Manager at the stealership. If that didn't get me satisfaction, I'd find out who the regional dealer service representative and ring his/her bell. Don't let crappy service at the dealer go unchecked.

06LBZ
08-29-2006, 08:12
I have 5000 miles on my 06 LBZ and have not had any belt squeak issues.

I do hear the shuttering, whining noise you mention when going over bumps. It is the turbo. Perhaps someone more 'in the know' than myself on Garrett turbos can chime in but I am guessing it has to do with the variable rate turbo they put on the LBZ or possibly even some shaft wobble in a fluid bearing. I would have to say it's normal - the LBZ is so quiet compared to other diesels turbo noise is going to be more evident.

Good luck on the belt issue - if I got my truck back from the stealer and the 'fix me' light on the dash was on, I'd start by taking it up with the Service Manager at the stealership. If that didn't get me satisfaction, I'd find out who the regional dealer service representative and ring his/her bell. Don't let crappy service at the dealer go unchecked.

Quack addict ,
Any chance you own a Ducati? I happen to own one and your name sounds like something a Duc owner would use :D

Yeah , I might take this higher than the in store service manager.

Barkbuster
08-29-2006, 10:09
Just got back from the dealer and still driving the loaner car! They moved it this morning after cleaning the belt yesterday and the chirp was still there.I told them about the power steering pulley move and this thread, and their talking to the GM tech folks. maybe get it back Wednesday l8r bb

Quack_Addict
08-29-2006, 11:08
Quack addict ,
Any chance you own a Ducati? I happen to own one and your name sounds like something a Duc owner would use :D

No Ducati here. I spend all my money on my truck payment and gas for the salmon boat I pull behind it. My moniker comes from what my wife considers an addiction - my affinity for waterfowl hunting. She once said something that compared my weekend duck hunting expeditions to a crack addict looking for a fix; hence the name.

06LBZ
08-29-2006, 18:40
Ahhh ok Quack, that makes sense.

So you guys think that stuttering turbo sound is normal? :confused:

Barkbuster
08-30-2006, 10:24
Got my truck back this morning. After replacing the tensioner with no results they tried the power sterring pump deal using a lazer recommended by the Gm tech support dudes. Shimmed the pulley 1/4 inch out and I made it home with just a slight hint of chirp, so Im taking it to work and see if it holds up without further noise. l8r bb

06LBZ
08-30-2006, 10:34
With a $48,000 sticker price, my truck shouldn't have even the slightest hint of a chirp let alone have a common problem that GM can't figure out how to fix.

06LBZ
08-30-2006, 10:41
I hope some more people post up here if they have had the problem as well and what worked for them as far as fixing it.:)

Prestonia24
08-30-2006, 21:22
With a $48,000 sticker price, my truck shouldn't have even the slightest hint of a chirp let alone have a common problem that GM can't figure out how to fix.

LOL. that's exactly what i paid for my 06 LBZ CC 4x4 LT3...

I have 2200 miles on mine and haven't had any problems with it as of yet, averaging 14mpg street and 17hwy... Hopefully it'll be better with some more mileage.

MillCreekDMAX
08-31-2006, 09:31
I have had mine since March 06 and have none of the affore mentioned problems. I will keep an extra attentive ear out tho. ;)

I agree with the cost comments. I paid 42000 for my fully loaded LBZ and i would be wicked pissed if it started making some annoying noise.

It is possible you got one of those "built on a Friday trucks" :rolleyes:

Otherwise i am super pleased witht he performance, fit and finish of my truck.:D

06LBZ
08-31-2006, 11:39
The only good news is that my trucks MSRP was $48,000 and I only paid $38,500 for it new.:D

Other than the noise and bad service experience , I like the truck alot ...... it just needs some 285's on it to replace those pizza cutters it comes with.:rolleyes:

Barkbuster
09-04-2006, 18:58
Well, as I posted in the lbz fuel milage thread the chirp is back and its going to the dealer in the morning for another look. I found out today that this dealer no longer has a diesel tech as of Sat. A chirping belt pobably doesn`t reguire a diesel guy to fix but if they can`t get it right this time there is another dealer near that just do trucks and I may go there next.

06LBZ
09-04-2006, 19:04
I have not taken my truck back to the dealer yet , I'm finding out that there are ALOT of people out there having to make 5 visits to get it resolved and still have it return in 2000 miles.:mad:

It seems like the one common fix has to do with the power steering pulley being out of allignment and needing to be pressed in 1/16".

I know I don't want to make 5 trips to resolve this but it sucks havign a new truck like this and have everyone at work wondering WTF it is chirping and squeeling for.:mad:

jbplock
09-05-2006, 01:52
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There is also a bulletin on the 2006 LLY/LBZ

06LBZ
09-05-2006, 05:35
[QUOTE=jbplock][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]There is also a bulletin on the 2006 LLY/LBZ

jevanb
09-06-2006, 02:37
I get the chirp when the motor comes to rest (shut off)

Barkbuster
09-09-2006, 11:36
I got the truck back Thurs. and a new belt was installed and the power steering pump realined again. I added another 150 miles on it the last 2 days and its still quiet! hopeing its right by now

06LBZ
09-10-2006, 06:04
I got the truck back Thurs. and a new belt was installed and the power steering pump realined again. I added another 150 miles on it the last 2 days and its still quiet! hopeing its right by now

Mine still shirps and squeels when cold.
I told my dealers service manager about the problem AND told him about the realining of the power steering pump.
He said that they checked all that the first time and that everything was good , I don't believe that they checked it.
I then asked him " Well , what are you guys going to do to fix the truck when I do bring it back in?"
He replied: " The day you bring the truck back in , I will call the tech line and see what they recommend." :confused: Hey , can't you call them now or sometime in the last 2 weeks since I told you the problem was back again?
I don't want to drop my truck off AGAIN if they don't even know how to fix it.

They don't seem very eager to find out what's causing the chirping and squeeling.