PDA

View Full Version : Short burst of black smoke

Eddys
08-29-2006, 10:33
Hi Guys

I'm wondering what could do this. I noticed last week on the highway under hard acceleration it would puff out a cloud of black smoke really bad.
It would clear up and then I see a little trace of black/greyish smoke trailering at the tailpipe which never seems to go away under hard acceleration. It's a 1996 extended half ton pickup.
The engine light has come on sometimes when driving in the city or highway, but not under hard acceleration. It did not seem to make a difference in the performance. The engine light goes out by itself. It sometimes comes on and goes off quickly. The codes I managed to get was P0406 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit High. Doesn"t happen all the time. I checked the vacum lines and they seem ok all tight. Fuel filter was changed also recently but no diference.

chango_ii
08-29-2006, 12:18
My truck us to do the same thing, as soon I got rid of my stock exhaust problem slove. If you have a stock exhaust get rid of it.
Also check your boost psi.

john8662
08-29-2006, 13:19
Sounds as though the EGR system is mal-functioning...

Eddys
08-29-2006, 17:35
It's bone stock. I would like to invest in a exhaust system and air filter but money is tight. I was thinking of getting Kennedy's exhaust system I heard good reviews. I would like to change the air filter system too. I don't know if SS Diesel air filter is any good. The price is right. Has anybody tried it?
As for the EGR is there any way of testing it or just replace it?

DmaxMaverick
08-29-2006, 20:07
....As for the EGR is there any way of testing it or just replace it?

[disclaimer: for off highway use only]
Replace it with nothingness.