PDA

View Full Version : Need just the fuel solenoid anybody know from where i can get one

mike928s5
08-29-2006, 15:42
Hi I need the fuel delivery solenoid not the fuel shut of solenoid
As far as I know it is not available as a replacement part from the dealer
I will really hate to spent the monney and time on a rebuilt pump just for a bad solenoid
Any info will be apreciated
Thanks Mike

Hubert
08-29-2006, 18:18
I am pretty sure thats not the avg or really good do it yourselfer job. I'd take IP to a pump shop. I think it has to be calibrated etc and set just so installing that. The fuel shut off solenoid is a do it yourselfer job. But if you wanted to buy it go to Stanadyne website and look for local shop. Or the yellow pages for a Stanadyne approved shop/distributor.

I think GM considers the IP one part. I don't think they sell anything other than the IP and FSD. ???

mike928s5
08-29-2006, 19:07
I know it is not recomended but if I can find one to replace it I might get the car to run before I decide to remove the pump.
even if it doesnt make the engine run the way it should, if that is indeed the problem then I will know for sure that I need a pump
Thanks for the reply

Bnave95
08-30-2006, 02:27
Hi I need the fuel delivery solenoid not the fuel shut of solenoid
As far as I know it is not available as a replacement part from the dealer
I will really hate to spent the monney and time on a rebuilt pump just for a bad solenoid
Any info will be apreciated
Thanks Mike
Have to ask why you want to change the FS. I know code 18,35&36 can be a pain to deal with but is doable with out changing the FS.
So whats your story?

Kennedy
08-30-2006, 09:00
You cannot replace the fuel delivery solenoid without special tools and a test stand to calibrate.

mike928s5
08-30-2006, 18:52
Not to question your Knoweledge or anything but this is my logic behind replacing it
If it makes the engine start or attempt to run then I will know I need a pump
If you read my other thread " 96 TD does not start after replacing the PMD" you will understand why I go about it in this unusual troubleshouting method.

out of curiosity though the fuel solenoid just screws into the front of the pump, how is it adjusted or calibrated (I do not expect a step by step procedure just something to help me understand why everyone says is a big eal)
Thanks for your input

Bnave95
08-31-2006, 03:14
I see now in your other post what your trouble shooting. Though I have never messed with a DS-4,I have woundered when a pump does good bad what part/parts causes the death? Just normal ware. I can understand the head rotor, though replacing a defective part alone could make the pump come back to life. Jim worte a Article on the DS-4 parts brake down so when a pump goes bad I'll just R&R. ;)

Trek 6.5 TD Pusher
08-31-2006, 06:37
The computer regulates fuel volume and timing by regulating the operation of the injector pump. This is accomplished through the use of electronic components mounted to the pump.
The fuel solenoid is one of the primary devices on the GM fuel injection pump. The fuel solenoid is controlled by the fuel solenoid driver module, which, in turn, is controlled by the computer. The fuel solenoid controls the amount of fuel volume delivered to the injectors. The solenoid opens and closes a passage leading to the pump plunger's inlet chambers. By controlling the amount of fuel volume going into the plunger's pumping chambers, the outlet volume is controlled precisely.

The computer, through the fuel driver module, controls the pulse width modulated signal to the fuel control solenoid. The solenoid is normally open, allowing fuel to pass through. When energized, by the computer and fuel solenoid driver, the fuel flow into the pumping chambers is cut off. By controlling how long the solenoid is energized, the computer controls the amount of fuel delivered to the injectors.

In addition, the computer monitors the commanded position of the fuel driver solenoid through a feedback circuit, very similar to the feedback circuits used for the transmission solenoids in today's electronically-controlled transmission.