PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Intake

johnanc
08-29-2006, 15:57
Wondering if anyone has an opinion about opening up the interior end of the intake manifold by removing the "plate" that is part of the casting in my 1994 K2500? Do later model trucks have that same type of intake casting?

Hubert
08-29-2006, 18:24
Have you looked at Kennedy's tech tips? Kennedydiesel.com Is that what you are talking about?

johnanc
08-29-2006, 21:42
Hubert, Yes, I did see Kennedy's pictures. Before I get out my die grinder I was wondering if the plate was neccesary for better air swirl or just an obsolete design by GM at that time. Do you have a second opinion?

Dale S
08-30-2006, 05:27
I opened up mine on the 95. I can actually hear the air now from inside the cab at higher rpms. I have no idea why they put the bridging in there as it is so restrictive. My 98 doesn't have it and the 95 sure seems to run better without it.

Hubert
08-30-2006, 06:47
Who knows why GM does some things ? ! ?

Kennedy would not post it if it wasn't a good modification. I would say with an indirect injection engine no swirl necessary. You want nice balanced easy air flow to each cylinder. I don't see how the web helps that?

JohnC
08-30-2006, 08:18
OK, I'll bite. What plate?

Are you talking about an engine ith EGR?

johnanc
08-30-2006, 09:50
John C., The downstream end of the aluminum intake that attaches to the intake manifold has as part of it's casting a webbing/plate with 2 holes which seem smaller then the opening of the intake itself. Kennedy Diesel recommends removing the web/plate. Just wondering if anyone knew why it was engineered that way and if later models (newer then 1994) had the same design.

Shikaroka
08-30-2006, 10:16
John C., The downstream end of the aluminum intake that attaches to the intake manifold has as part of it's casting a webbing/plate with 2 holes which seem smaller then the opening of the intake itself. Kennedy Diesel recommends removing the web/plate. Just wondering if anyone knew why it was engineered that way and if later models (newer then 1994) had the same design.

That must be something to do with the EGR, as mine has neither.

johnanc
08-30-2006, 10:28
John C., I realized I was describing the piece I was referring to wrongly. Am not familiar with turbocharger systems and was looking at individual pieces forgetting their sequence. I'm referring to aluminum tube running from output side of turbo assembly and directing boosted air into intake manifold. Sorry for the confusion.

JohnC
08-30-2006, 10:43
That "feature" is only present in engines with EGR, as far as I know. My '93 "F" did not have it but the '95 "S" di. It's purpose is to force the good air to mix with the bad air. I'd leave at least part of it unless you are eliminating the EGR. (Off road use, only, of course...)

Here's a shot of what mine looked like after I doubled the size of the holes:

TurboDiverArt
08-30-2006, 11:49
That "feature" is only present in engines with EGR, as far as I know. My '93 "F" did not have it but the '95 "S" di. It's purpose is to force the good air to mix with the bad air. I'd leave at least part of it unless you are eliminating the EGR. (Off road use, only, of course...)

Here's a shot of what mine looked like after I doubled the size of the holes:
Dumb question but.... what's the hole in the middle? Is this where the EGR is? Mine being a 99 "F" doesn

johnanc
08-30-2006, 20:11
John C., thanks for the explanation, I may leave it as it is. I may post another thread in re: restrictor modification which decreases the amount of water that moves from the thermostat/crossover tube down to the water pump. It's purpose is to divert more water to the radiator for better cooling. I'm wondering if restricting the flow of bypass water to the pump would cause any problems?