PDA

View Full Version : 285 tire size, heavy towing

jcummins
08-30-2006, 03:24
I put 265/75/16 LT MS on this truck when new. Factory rims. Now 130000 miles later after running through two sets of them, I need to buy four more. Given me excellent service. I will stay with this tire.

I'm 22-23000 GCW when towing. Last couple of years have not towed much. I stayed with the 265s thinking these would be safer, but also did not consider the 285s, because they were not available in this tire. Now they are. Thinking of going to 285 on factory rims. Seen many trucks that way...BUT....not many tow as heavy as I do.

Opinions. Will 285s on factory rims be better, worse or the same as 265s from the towing standpoint? Will rim width be a problem with 285s when towing?

redrider#1
08-30-2006, 09:56
I have had 285's on stock rims now for about 5k miles, and I pull a trailer a lot lighter than yours (11k lbs.) with no problems. The only thing I might give you a heads-up on is that you may need to keep the tires at or near their max inflation rating. I say this because my truck had a funny hop/vibration in the rear of the truck at exactly 43mph (unloaded only) which completely went away when I increased the pressure in the tires to almost the max (60-65psi in my case). This vibration I believe is the "frame beaming" and there is a TSB out about it, but the truck didn't seem to do it until after the 285's. It wasn't dangerous in any way, just kind of annoying until I figured it out.