PDA

View Full Version : Dexron VI,can't find it.

jettech
08-30-2006, 05:30
Anyone find the dexron VI trans fluid anywhere besides the dealership? I am getting ready to switch my engine oil over to Amsoil synthetic and per the dmax manual the first maint schedule they say to replace the trans filter also so I will need a little to top off.None of the local auto parts stores had it,one even tried to tell me there is no such fluid.He got a really stupid look on his face when I showed him the dmax manual with it listed.I've only got 3K on the truck so I may wait till the next oil change to rpl the trans filter.Dealer bent me over for $50 for the filter,I'd hate to have to get the fluid there as well.

DmaxMaverick
08-30-2006, 09:24
If you are already considering Amsoil, use their TorqueDrive ATF. It carries the same rating and cert. as Transynd. I've been running it for about 40K, and Amsoil regular (Universal) synthetic before that. The tranny has been very happy with it, and at a fraction of the cost of Transynd and all the stuff the dealer pushes.

cowboywildbill
08-30-2006, 10:29
If your buying oil filters, WIX is good. I go to a local International dealership truck shop that is also an allison dealer & repair shop, and the same "orange" Allison spin on trans filter cost retail $8.00 U.S. The exact same filter at the Chevy dealership cost between $38.00 and $50.00. I learned the hard way the first time. I found out about the savings from this forum a couple of years ago. I buy my fuel filters from a guy on this forum "J.K" he has a good price on them. Not a plug, but shop around before you go to the dealer for anything. One thing I have heard is stay away from Fram filters for any light truck diesel applications. They have been known to trash the cummins engines.