PDA

View Full Version : Intake/Exhaust/Programmer Questions...

titanite
08-30-2006, 10:05
Hello,
I am driving a 05' LLY. Ive added a BD Power Intimidator programer running on "Tow Performance" as i have not done anything with the intake and exhaust. Im worried about high EGT, and I dont 'need' that kind of horsepower. My main persuit is milage improvements. Does anyone have any info on what kind of improvements I would typically see (based on different driving habits I know this can change a lot, or terrain). Curious if i put a cold air intake and bigger exhaust, am I going to see any improvements?

With the Intimidator I saw a 1-1.5 MPG (Im talking US Gallons always) (Hand calculated) increase unloaded if you drive really conservative, on the highway 110-120km/hr. Was hoping to see more than that with the chip. Stock I was getting 14-15MPG highway. Now 15-17 and if I drive really slow 90km/hr in British Columbia I can see upwards of 17.5 maybe 18MPG if the wind was blowing the right direction.

If you go by the computer in the truck it says I am getting 24-28 MPG on the highway. I have found that this is not the case because all it is doing is lying to you about how much fuel your consuming. IE: If I burn the whole 90 litre tank, it says I used 70 litres. So do the math and yes, you have 24-28MPG. If you used 70 litres, not 90! Anyone else have this problem with the chip?

Also, if I am to do the exhaust, how much bigger is big enough? 4 or 5 inch? Any noticible advantage from 4-5?
THanks in advance!
T.

mcwhitsitt
08-30-2006, 14:06
Was looking for the same thing, increased mileage, didn't need the power increase. Tried the Predator with the same results you are reporting. Tuner made all computations on computer wrong, just like yours, and lots of black smoke if I stood on it. Don't think programmers are the way to go. Did install Banks Air System and plan to increase exhaust but thats about it. Truck is getting an honest 18mpg now that I can turn the A/C off and keep the rpms below 2000. '05 LLY with Allison Extended Cab 3500 dually 17,000 miles.

titanite
08-30-2006, 16:15
I hear ya, the mileage I was talking about in BC would be at around 1900-2000RPM doing 90km/hr ish. I guess I can say Im happy with getting more HP and a very small increase in mileage. Was hoping to see better mileage increase. Im at 40,000 Km. Only small amount of black smoke initially when you put your foot to the floor, cleans up after turbo lag......would intake give you more air to help reduce this problem?

fourtenposi
08-30-2006, 17:13
I have the same truck as you and I put on the edge product ez. It appears to have gained a solid 2-3 mpg. I haven't made it though my first tank yet. Before my DIC was alway within a .1 or .2 of the fuel that I put in. I am just curious to see if it still is that accurate. I will let you know. Does the power adder you have increase fuel pressure? I always wonder if that is why some of them show better fuel economy or if they mess with something to give the appearance of better economy. Was you DIC accurate before the BD power adder?

DmaxMaverick
08-30-2006, 18:01
If you have a power adder that doesn't throw off the DIC, you have something truly rare. We have had some reports of one version of an Edge box not changing the DIC in a couple cases (no explanation for that). The boxes and programmers get the extra power w/o throwing codes by lying to the PCM. Naturally, the PCM is oblivious to how much actual fuel is going through the system, or it would take that fuel away, as it is not a part of the original fuel map. The only way to get around this reliably is to change the fuel map (like EFI Live), and the triggers in the PCM commands.

If you want more power through the common computer mods, you'll just have to live with it. Propane alone won't cause the issue, but the DIC won't tell you how much propane you are burning, either.

titanite
08-31-2006, 11:15
I have the same truck as you and I put on the edge product ez. It appears to have gained a solid 2-3 mpg. I haven't made it though my first tank yet. Before my DIC was alway within a .1 or .2 of the fuel that I put in. I am just curious to see if it still is that accurate. I will let you know. Does the power adder you have increase fuel pressure? I always wonder if that is why some of them show better fuel economy or if they mess with something to give the appearance of better economy. Was you DIC accurate before the BD power adder?

Hi Fourtenposi, Yes my DIC was very accurate before I put in the program. Not sure about fuel pressure. Not sure how to check that?

Seems like from other comments this is common, so Im not going to worry about it.

Anyone have any ideas about intake/exhaust combinations?
Thanks

Kennedy
09-01-2006, 06:06
We've been pretty accurate with teh DIC on my economy tunes, but if you get into it hard with the bigger tunes it wil be skewed. There is an excellent pair of articles on the Page discussing KD Custom Tuning.

fourtenposi
09-01-2006, 13:40
I filled up today, The DIC was within .2 of what it took so it looks like it is still pretty accurate. I average 17.5 though the tank of fuel where I usually get 14-15. So it seems like it has actually improved fuel economy and gave me more power. So far two thumbs up for the edge!