PDA

View Full Version : Stalling Question

crazpony
08-30-2006, 15:01
My 97 6.5L will run fine for 30 - 45 minutes then just stall during deceleration, restart is a little hard, will run again for 5 minutes then stall. Here is the weird part, if I allow the engine to idle 20 minutes before I drive it, no problems.

Everything was fine until I put PowerService (grey bottle) in the tank (may be just a coincedent:confused: ), idle was louder, driving was louder, stalling started.

I have a PSD cooler mounted on left wheel well, changed filter (Fuel and cleaaned K&N), checked for water even a new fuel cap. Any clues????????

crazpony
08-30-2006, 15:45
YIKES :eek: I can fly a mean airplane, I can ride a mean horse, but can't figure this message forum out yet :confused:. Sorry I didn't see the post above reference stalling before my post :D sorry...............................

Hubert
08-30-2006, 15:50
Intermittent oil pressure switch maybe. Connectivity issue, bad ground etc. Flakey FSD? Other?

No way to tell need some more clues.

Did you have some issues w/ fuel or was fuel conditioner maintenance? Anything in the filter bowl changing filter? Did you follow dieselpage instructions :-) or GM instructions :-( changing filter? Could be sucking air if filter did not seal properly and an intermittent OPS???

crazpony
08-30-2006, 18:01
Had no issues with fuel, just starting putting the PowerService in because the local fuel station is selling Ultra Low Sulfar fuel, oil pressure at idle steady at 30 (on stock gauge) +/- 5, nothing unusual in filter bowl (clean).

Tapped the fuel shut-off soleniod and truck ran fine. Just wondering if anyone knows, is the fuel shut-off solenoid powered opened and de-powered to closed position (spring loaded closed)? If this is the case, it may be a sticky fuel-shut off solenoid not opening completely or it is losing the ground and/or power and closing. Just wondering.....

I know the plane I fly has numerous valves that are either depowered opened (to keep engines running in the event of a total power failure) or depowered closed.

Thank You

JohnC
08-31-2006, 06:36
What kinda plane?

Shutoff solenoid is powered open. Remove power and it shuts off.

Try opening the fuel filler cap next time it happens. Could be a vacuum in the tank...

crazpony
08-31-2006, 06:53
What kinda plane?

KC-10A http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/kc10_1.jpg

JohnC
08-31-2006, 07:03
OK, yours is bigger....

Hubert
08-31-2006, 07:37
Its my understanding that 12v is supplied from ignition circuit with key on. Ground is supplied by PCM if everything is A OK to run. ie FSD or PMD is ok all circuits good no fatal OBD codes etc.

I know you said you had a remote mount FSD but when mine was on the IP I tapped the FSOS and the truck cranked. I don't know its kind of like hitting the side of a TV sometimes it just brings the pic back. I ended up having to replace my FSD.

The FSOS can go bad and some have replaced it or could have been a fluke and PCM just repowered it for what ever reason?

Some have reported to feel it cycle by holding a couple of fingers on it and cycling the ignition switch.

Electrical gremlins are the worst and the 6.5 can have plenty of them.

Keep us posted.

DmaxMaverick
08-31-2006, 08:27
OK, yours is bigger....

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

crazpony
08-31-2006, 14:50
OK, yours is bigger....

John,

Do you fly? What type?

crazpony
08-31-2006, 20:15
OK, yours is bigger....
Oh yeah, I've gotten' that from many others before.....................:o

JohnC
09-01-2006, 08:46
John,

Do you fly? What type?

I'm an A&P, semi retired. I run a parts business that specializes in Cessna 120/140 and Ercoupe parts. I own a Cessna 140 that I fly out of a 1300 ft strip in the woods behind my house...

crazpony
09-01-2006, 11:39
I own a Cessna 140 that I fly out of a 1300 ft strip in the woods behind my house...

Cool, nice little guy ya got there, I need at least 7,000ft for a light weight takeoff (350,000lbs)......

My stalling problems continue (on truck not airplane :eek: ). One thing I notice, which I should have noticed earlier, the SES does not illuminate after a stall or when I go to re-start the truck right after a stall. After sitting for 30 minutes or so, the SES starts working again.

Question: Could it be a bad computer causing the stalls hence the none SES light?

Bnave95
09-02-2006, 00:44
At this time,what has been done? If ground/feed cleaning has been done then go to the connector at the fire wall leading to the ECM/PCM. It's a PITA to get to but should be checked. The small pin's connector can lose contact at the wire end/connector.