PDA

View Full Version : New engine - no navistar logo?

TAG
08-30-2006, 15:47
I just picked up a new 18 to 1 penn motor & noticed no navistar logo in the valley. I just wondered if any of you guys have heard of a change. I was told this motor was just built last friday. Any help is much appreciated.

john8662
08-30-2006, 21:03
Hmm, shoot us a picture of that valley.

Last block I saw had it, it's not real large, just two diamonds.

J

TAG
09-01-2006, 18:16
It turned out to be the navistar logo was hand ground off at the factory, matt had no idea why. Matt swapped the motor with another one he had in stock & all is fine. Extremely fine people to deal with selling top notch products & is one of the premier innovators with these 6.5s, very pleasant dealings.

TurboDiverArt
09-05-2006, 13:25
Sort of related but I have always wondered about this.

The 6.5 TD engine was based on a Detroit design (guess so was the NA 6.2).

Was it actually manufactured by Detroit Diesel for GM or did GM just use their design and make it themselves?

I know Navistar was what became of the engine division of International Harvester.

How did the jump from Detroit to IH/Navistar happen?

Where does AM General come into the mix? Was is just because they made the H1 and were the only users of the engines after 2000? You had to go to them to get a new one? Or because they commanded changes to the old design to make them stronger?

Is there still a use for the 6.5 now? I mean now that the H1 isn't produced anymore and as far as I can tell the H2 doesn't have a diesel option.

It's all so confusing how these things change and are intertwined... :)

Art.

JohnC
09-05-2006, 13:57
My understanding is that Detriot Diesel participated in the design of the 6.2 but it was an in house GM project. The 6.5 was derived from the 6.2 by GM talent. When GM phased the 6.5 out of their lineup they sold the tooling and rights to AM General who later farmed the blocks out to Navistar.

No more H1's? What's going to replace the ones that get blown up?

Hubert
09-05-2006, 14:55
I think the military contract for spare parts / motors / and Humvee's is good til 2010 or so maybe longer 2015?. I haven't heard of anything to replace the Humvee (not that I am an expert). I did see something a while back about contracts for SUV's and 4 door pickups similar to the 80's GM blazers and pickups for on base transportation. I remember a lot of hubub about how much more expensive the Humvee (new and operation costs) was over a jeep for just a light transportation vehicle.

GEP / AM General couldn't have amortorized the tooling expense for such a purchase if it wasn't for the long gov't contract.

I think GM still buys 6.5 replacements from GEP/AM GEN. I think there are Marine uses and foriegn projects as well.

Should be able to buy new quality parts cheap for another 7 years easy. Thats why I like it so much.

TurboDiverArt
09-06-2006, 11:35
My understanding is that Detriot Diesel participated in the design of the 6.2 but it was an in house GM project. The 6.5 was derived from the 6.2 by GM talent. When GM phased the 6.5 out of their lineup they sold the tooling and rights to AM General who later farmed the blocks out to Navistar.

No more H1's? What's going to replace the ones that get blown up?
Thanks for the info!

GM announced a couple of months ago that they were discontinuing the H1. I'd imagine only the civilian variant. I would imagine the military version of the Hummer would continue. I guess unless the military moves to a D-Max platform or other power plant the 6.5 will have some more life. I don't know who actually makes the military version on the Hummer, GM or AM General?

Art.

ronniejoe
09-06-2006, 11:50
For the record, Detroit Diesel was part of GM when the 6.2 was designed. It was part of the Detroit Diesel Allison Division. So, yes, Detroit Diesel built the enignes for the pickups. Later, GM split Detroit Diesel away from Allison and formed a joint venture with Penske called Detroit Diesel Corporation. They continued their work on the 6.2/6.5 for GM and on the bigger two-stroke Diesels for on highway trucks. DDC was later sold to Daimler Chrysler, where it is today.

AM General set up a new, wholely owned subsidary called General Engine Products and purchased all the rights, tooling and hardware for the 6.5 line and agreed to supply GM with service parts for the remainder of the 6.5 life. GEP sourced their improved castings with Navistar's foundary.

What a tangled web we weave...