PDA

View Full Version : Engine wont start after pump repair

kojo
08-31-2006, 13:39
Hi,

How much these 6,5 needs cranking when injection pump has been opened and repaired? my pump was in shop monday, got everything assembled wednesday, tried to start, after long cranking (i'm sure there must be lot of air in pipes and pump) it started and revved about 2500 rpm then stalled. and then my batteries was so empty i couldn't try more, today i have cranked it several times (must charge batteries all time) and it don't even try to start.
I have injector lines loosened on drivers side and 2 from passenger side and there is no coming fuel from then when i crank engine, or maybe 1 of them had just little diesel, but very little.
Is this normal?

john8662
08-31-2006, 15:43
What cha working on?

What's the year, is this a mechanical injection pump or electronic?

kojo
08-31-2006, 15:47
Oops, me stupid..

It's 1995 k2500 suburban with 4l80e. So pump is electronical stanadyne ds4

Hubert
08-31-2006, 16:09
How did you prime fuel to the IP. I think your 95 the lift pump only comes on in crank. So if line at IP was dry it probably sucked in some air. Have you purged air at top of filter? I'd do that and try starting again. Crank then rest the starter. Batteries need to be strong though.

kojo
08-31-2006, 19:02
I wired engine ign fuse to liftpump relay so when this wire is there my lift pump runs always when key is in ignition position. i first burged air from top of filter, then let pump run couple minutes and removed injection pump return line hose and checked fuel coming out from there (slovly but it came) i cranked engine after this.

edit: I made order for new batteries yesterday, should have them friday noon, after that i think i could crank it more than 5 minutes in day :)

Trek 6.5 TD Pusher
09-01-2006, 07:06
I managed to get my fuel and return lines switched when I changed my pump. Mine were the same size and type of hose and they fit nicely when reversed. But the engine would only run for a good rev up then died beceause it sucked air back into the pump. Took me a while to figure it out. A clear line on the return gave it away. The fuel was moving the wrong direction when the lift pump was turned on.

Good Luck:

kojo
09-01-2006, 10:33
Lines are right.. i looked already if i remove return line there is fuel coming from ip when lp is running.
I made today simple light bulp test, i wired 1,2 watt bulb to fsd pins what are connected to fuel solenoid, flashing nice when my frend cranked engine.

Bnave95
09-02-2006, 01:02
Hi,

How much these 6,5 needs cranking when injection pump has been opened and repaired? my pump was in shop monday, got everything assembled wednesday, tried to start, after long cranking (i'm sure there must be lot of air in pipes and pump) it started and revved about 2500 rpm then stalled. and then my batteries was so empty i couldn't try more, today i have cranked it several times (must charge batteries all time) and it don't even try to start.
I have injector lines loosened on drivers side and 2 from passenger side and there is no coming fuel from then when i crank engine, or maybe 1 of them had just little diesel, but very little.
Is this normal?
When you say"revved". Did this on it's own?
Is your PMD (pump mounted driver) on the pump? Is it new or reused from old pump?

kojo
09-02-2006, 03:49
yes, it revved just self, i didn't even touch pedal. and it made it immediadly after starting.

I have 2 fsd modules, 2 weeks old from Kennedy with cooler and older which has been pump mounted, but some earlier owner has transfered it to home made cooler. i have tried start on both modules, but no luck after engine revved.
If my my both fsd:s would be toasted (not likely) could they give pover for fuel solenoid (look my bulb test from upper)?

farmboy1989
09-02-2006, 05:56
Blown fuse? That would cause lack of fuel coming out at the lines.Just an easy thing to check.

kojo
09-02-2006, 06:56
all fuses are ok, checked them at least 3 times. suel sol fuse has checked couple more times and its ok too.

Anyways this pump hasn't overhauled complet, it was in shop because of too touchy accelerator and its behavior to be on or off, cruising steady speed was real pita before this episode, it was all time accerating or braking. they changed one part in shop, it was pure mechanical and had some scrathes on it, they said if that's sticking it could make that annoying bahavior.
I have called shop many times in last days, trouble shooted lot in phone, and we both are now thinking at this pump had already some other internal fault and was just bad luck it failed just when engine started.
I and shop agree the fault could be internal lamel transfer pump or maybe fuel solenoid moving parts. impossible say without disassembling pump, but i would need that truck tomorrov and next week very much so they offered me factory new, nevew used pump by very reasonable price (compared to remanufactured pump from us and shipping+ taxes and custom dutues) and something must count for my own work too, i hate do same work again and again.

Bnave95
09-03-2006, 01:55
OK,thought we were dealing with a New/rebuilt replacement unit. Hopefully you did not have a code issue, STS light?

Bnave95
09-03-2006, 01:58
I wired engine ign fuse to liftpump relay so when this wire is there my lift pump runs always when key is in ignition position. i first burged air from top of filter, then let pump run couple minutes and removed injection pump return line hose and checked fuel coming out from there (slovly but it came) i cranked engine after this.

edit: I made order for new batteries yesterday, should have them friday noon, after that i think i could crank it more than 5 minutes in day :)
BTW,you can prime pump,prime filter change on your 95 by putting it in drive and turn key to start.;)

kojo
09-03-2006, 09:12
No i havent got any code issues or sts light either.
I knew that transmission to d and start priming thing, but i made that wire thing because i think its easyer when working alone.

Now that new pump is on its way to here, should have it tomiorrow, my budjet screams from pain:eek:, but at least i can be almost sure i don't have to play with that pump to long long time:p

kojo
09-05-2006, 06:27
:D New pump is installed, started with wery little cranking, but need some work still, throw ses light and doesnt idle, when i lift my foo from accelerator pedal engine shuts off. I think it's timing problem, must check codes after work and try turn pump little.

kojo
09-05-2006, 14:02
:cool: turned pump little to drivers side, now it idles and doesn't throw codes anymore, drove short test drive, runs like new truck :)

Bnave95
09-06-2006, 02:47
Are you going to have the pump scaned for timing?

kojo
09-06-2006, 03:14
I'd like to, but local gm dealer is place where i don't want to go and so is nearest diesel shop too. Place who repaired old pump and sold this new one to me is over 100 miles away from here, i don't have time to go there now, but i hope Stefan gets his gmtdscan pro software published in near future so i could do it my self. :D