PDA

View Full Version : Water pump divert tube mod

johnanc
08-31-2006, 21:25
Am wondering if mod available to reduce size of opening for hose routing water from thermostat/crossover tube down to top of water pump housing is a valid one. Apparently more of the water that was going to be recycled to the heads after going through the water pump would be diverted into the radiator for better cooling. Any thoughts on the mod.

Bnave95
09-01-2006, 02:14
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/waterpumpkit.html
Reason why many of us up date our cooling systems. Better to have more flow through block. Do not take away water flow through/around block.

JeepSJ
09-01-2006, 11:08
I think what he is asking is would it be a good idea to reduce the size of the bypass hose that runs from the water pump to the tstat housing. That is about a 1" hose. Would reducing that hose cause more coolant to flow through the radiator?

Bnave95
09-02-2006, 00:56
I think what he is asking is would it be a good idea to reduce the size of the bypass hose that runs from the water pump to the tstat housing. That is about a 1" hose. Would reducing that hose cause more coolant to flow through the radiator?
Could make a note of that.Not sure. Though when Tstats are closed this tube flows around block.
So if it was bigger would there be less flow to rad.:D
Getting that time of year:mad: where Tstat are not open all the way as much.

tehillah1
09-02-2006, 07:13
I have a question along these lines...Is there a difference in the thermostats used in the 6.5's and a regular thermostat that would be used in a gasser? They don't look different to me. What is special about a 6.5 (diesel?) thermostat?

DmaxMaverick
09-02-2006, 08:15
Reducing the bypass tube would not be a good idea.

First of all, you won't gain any appreciable flow. Even with an 87 GPM pump, that tube isn't taking much away, and the location/position of the tube is such the flow with full open stat(s) will bypass less. It has an eductor effect.

The main reason is, your thermostats won't open as soon when things heat up. The flow is necessary to keep the engine/head coolant temp in real time at the stat(s).

gmctd
09-02-2006, 09:09
GM increased the bypass from 3/4" to 1" while testing the turbo application - musta been a good reason for that, I would think.

Hubert
09-02-2006, 09:53
I have a question along these lines...Is there a difference in the thermostats used in the 6.5's and a regular thermostat that would be used in a gasser? They don't look different to me. What is special about a 6.5 (diesel?) thermostat?

They are low restriction or high flow stats in the 6.5. Robert Shaw design or something like that. Suppose to be better than a cheapo thermostat.

Bnave95
09-03-2006, 01:40
Your 94 single t-Stats, should look real different.
Thinking about the single stats,when they open they are to block,restrick the hose port were talking about right? This allows full,some,or more flow to rad.