PDA

View Full Version : Oil on dipstick level

epa1775
09-01-2006, 16:00
Today when I checked my oil level I saw something I'd never seen before. After I wiped off the dipstick and put it back in I pulled it out and The only place it showed oil was on the top two notches just below the F. Most of my driving is all short mileage and stop and go. Anyone have an idea of what this means? I run AMSOIL synthetic. Thanks for the help.

Pete

cowboywildbill
09-01-2006, 18:41
Try wiping the dipstick and rechecking the level and wiping the dipstick each time. I had to dip my 02 four or five times before it read correctly. Mine usually read way to high at first "after sitting and not starting the truck before I checked". But I got a better reading if I had run the truck till it was warmed up and then checked it. I never saw the oil just read on the full mark and not below it though. I still like to check the level before I start it up though.

oyazi
09-02-2006, 17:50
In my experience, I can usually get a stable/accurate/reliable reading after it has sat overnite.

I'm wondering if 'n your oil level is very low and after wiping, some oil still w/in the strands of the cable is wicking/dewicking down w/gravity to fill the top 2 knotches on the dong.