PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Power steering fluid

DmaxMad
09-02-2006, 12:52
Are there any GM equivalent power steering fluids available besides getting from the stealer? What are the other brands for my 02 Duramax?

David Proske
09-04-2006, 22:51
Nothing really fancy about power steering fluid. Old timers use auto trans fluid. When I change mine I walk across the street to Napa where they carry Royal Purple synthetic fluid. Works good for me. Their gear oil is good as well.

DmaxMaverick
09-04-2006, 22:58
Been using Amsoil synthetic ATF (Universal) for over 100K. No problems. I've always used ATF, and will continue until someone has a valid reason not to. It is a simple hydraulic system, afterall.

DmaxMad
09-05-2006, 09:09
Thanks for the replies. This is my first diesel and did not know if it required anythng special due the the brakes being powered by it as well.

WILLYD-MAX
09-05-2006, 13:27
DmaxMaverick....
Are you serious on using Amsoil unuversal atf? Would it be alright to siphon the old out and replace as much as possible with it ?It would probably run cooler. My 05 seems to have quite a whine in the brake booster when I tow for a while and then let it sit for a few min. and then use the brakes hard.