PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe it!!??

Shikaroka
09-04-2006, 07:52
My IP is ~10 years old and has over 240k miles on it!

Do you think I would notice a difference if I changed it?

gmctd
09-04-2006, 08:20
Unless you're the original owner and aware of the service history, there are some further checks you can do -

Have a dealer scan your VIN, to give you the vehicle service history, incl IP replacement(s).

Or, check the Stanadyne label on the rear of the IP - if it is black, it is original.

Check for a green tag on the top, with black label - indicates field rebuild, later than '96.

Check for green tag with blue label - indicates later factory rebuild, or field rebuild with new housing

Check for blue label - indicates later factory rebuild, or new IP replacement.

DS4-5288 would indicate new\rebuild replacement after '97

Shikaroka
09-04-2006, 20:26
It appears to be the original one, that was my point.
It's got a black label with a date code about a month before the vehicle was assembled.

JohnC
09-05-2006, 11:53
My '95 had the original pump replaced in '96 witha new 5288 pump with (IIRC) a blue label (maybe black). My recollection is that was the standard issue pump, at least in the later half of '96. The blue-label-green-tag pumps were earlier pumps rebuilt to 5288 specs, also IIRC... No truck after '95 should have a green tag unless it has an older than original rebuilt pump.

I think...

If you have a pump with 240K miles that works, you'd be tempting fate to touch it, IMHO. Must be the prototype!

16gaSxS
09-05-2006, 11:58
My '95 had the original pump replaced in '96 witha new 5288 pump with (IIRC) a blue label (maybe black). My recollection is that was the standard issue pump, at least in the later half of '96. The blue-label-green-tag pumps were earlier pumps rebuilt to 5288 specs, also IIRC... No truck after '95 should have a green tag unless it has an older than original rebuilt pump.

I think...

If you have a pump with 240K miles that works, you'd be tempting fate to touch it, IMHO. Must be the prototype!

John; my situation is much like yours on second pump that was replaced at 27,000 so I now have 180,000 miles on the second pump. I have a replacement on the shelf but hate to mess with it since it runs so well.

Shikaroka
09-05-2006, 18:28
Yeh, I replaced all 8 injectors a couple months ago, and it seems to run fine. But, I don't have anything to compare it too, as I've never driven another 6.5L TD.
I hate to mess with it, but I'm sure I will need to some day.
What are the common (although mine appears not to be so common) signs of a worn pump? Or, what will it start doing if it is going bad?

I assume the timing chains are probably the originals as well. I could easily dump a bunch of money into this thing, real quick!

16gaSxS
09-06-2006, 09:47
Timing chain is behind water pump, if your punp craps out or you do the '97 cooling upgrade that's a good time to change the chain. Use a Diesel Fuel additive for increased MPG's, pump and injector life.

gmctd
09-06-2006, 15:22
If that is the original Inj Pump, I would be more interested in knowing if that is also the original FSD\PMD

Knowwhuttimean, jelly bean?

Shikaroka
09-06-2006, 19:06
Yeh, I would assume it's the original PMD as well. Although I put on another used PMD when I installed my remote mount cooler. I haven't noticed any difference, so I'd say the PMD still mounted to the pump is fine.