PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

glivingstone
09-05-2006, 04:43
Hi All,
Recieved some advise from Noel B. about a convenience center located under the dash to connect the electric trailer brake controller to.
Can anyone advise where this would be located on a 1998 K1500 Silverado?

dstoops
09-05-2006, 06:28
I ordered my '95 K2500 with the trailer towing pkg. The wires for the trailer brake controller were looped under the dash from the factory. I just pulled them out and hooked them up. My 2005 D-dge has a plug under the dash. I bought a pigtail from NAPA that plugs in and can be wired to the brake controller. I'm guessing that the wiring pkg is only included if the truck were ordered with the trailer towing pkg.

Dean

Scooby
09-05-2006, 06:37
My 96 also had the wires there, actually, 2 wires, #10's I think. They were yellow and orange if I remember correctly. They were under the hood, and had to be fed thru the firewall, but I think the last owner may have pulled them from inside to under the hood. I thought they were added after, but found they run into the harness in wireloom and go to the rear of the vehicle. Mine had a 7 pin flat receptacle in the tailgate jamb that was hidden by the bedliner. Came in real handy for my gooseneck.

noelb
09-05-2006, 16:04
I believe that the 1998 should have a convenience Center. I am not talking about connecting the entire brake controller to this - The convenience center has a pin that is hot when the brake pedal is used. This pin is in the spot marked "NAT". There are two pins in this spot and the one on the right is hot when the brake pedal is pressed.

HowieE
09-07-2006, 14:27
If your truck was wired for a trialer you should find 2 wires tucked down on the inside of the steering coloum on the engine side of the firewall. They should be orange and blue #10 wires. You will finf the other ends tucked inside the drivers side frame rail at the rear of the truck. As for a spot to pick up the brake signal I find tapping into the center rear tail light inside the drivers side kick panel the easiest spot to pick it up. It will be a white wire in the corner of an 8 pin connector. Be carefull there are 2 white wires in oppiste corners on that connector, so test while stepping on the brakes.

noelb
09-08-2006, 01:44
There is a much easier way... Just find the convenience center. It has a male 1/8 terminal just for this purpose. No need to hunt for wires in looms.