PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Screen orientation

Hubert
09-05-2006, 06:01
Ok I bought the little fuel screen that goes in the bottom of the fuel manager. I bought it at a local injection pump shop for $1.98. Stanadyne part number 29244.

So which way does it go. One end has (4) little feet? and the other end is smooth.

At filter change do I just push it down over the pickup tube to bottom and the filter holds it down?

I have to admit I don't fully understand EXACTLY what this thing does as its just a screen and I clean the bowl out completely at filter changes. Does it help seal the rubber on the bottom of the filter to the pickup tube?

john8662
09-05-2006, 08:22
Was your screen missing?

If so, you'd install this new one.

The filter screen installs with the 4 feet facing downward. It slides down the tube until it bottoms out connecting the the somewhat larger tube that feeds fuel to the IP.

J

Hubert
09-05-2006, 13:15
Thanks I never saw the original one. I could have lost it before I found the diesel page or the previous owner lost it.

Dang it I changed the filter like the owners manual said I think once. Again before Diesel Page a long time ago. Then I started cleaning the bowl out entirely at changes and noticed it gone for sure.

I have actually changed the filter a few times and have never really understood the purpose of it and never had a problem so I was real slow finding the little screen. The filter appears to seal to the tube and its my understanding fuel goes out to the IP down the tube. So why you need it I don't know. I figured at $1.98 I could afford to put it back to OE and wanted to stop by this diesel shop anyway.

I have really never noticed any little receptacle for it in the bottom of the manager but its hard to see clearly down into it and I was not looking specifically for it. I have been turkey bastering fuel out and wiping bowl out with rag and looking for obvious crud/contamination. The upcoming filter change I'm going to put it in.

And try and see what it is suppose to do. I'm also going to install a fuel pressure gauge and get a good benchmark to possible Feed The Beast Mod.

JohnC
09-05-2006, 13:51
When the filter is in place the screen is superfulous (spell checker anyone?). It's when you pull the filter out and the fuel that was on the clean side mixes with the fuel on the dirty side that it comes into play. I think the normal level of fuel in the bowl keeps the fuel out of the outlet, but the screen is the last line of defense while the filter is out.