PDA

View Full Version : Can I Remove Oil Pan on 2WD truck?

captainvector
09-05-2006, 18:31
I've got a 1996 C2500 HD pickup with manual tranny; is it possible to remove the oil pan with the engine in the truck? My current oil pan has a big dent in it and I'd like to replace it. The shop manual makes it sound deceptively simple, but I'd like to hear from some of you with actual experience doing (or attempting) this job, especially anyone who's got any helpful suggestions. Thanks!

Cowracer
09-06-2006, 07:51
I've got a 1996 C2500 HD pickup with manual tranny; is it possible to remove the oil pan with the engine in the truck? My current oil pan has a big dent in it and I'd like to replace it. The shop manual makes it sound deceptively simple, but I'd like to hear from some of you with actual experience doing (or attempting) this job, especially anyone who's got any helpful suggestions. Thanks!

I belive that you must disconnect the motor mounts, and hoist the engine up as far as the tranny will let you, and then, with great difficulty, you should be able to remove the pan.

Is the dent in the corner, or on the edge? Could it possibley be pulled out with a suction cup? Is it costing you oil capacity, or causing pickup problems?

tim

AndyL
09-06-2006, 09:30
weld a stud to it, then use a slide hammer, then grind off.

I have done this twice on off road machines. One I ripped the metal and had to drain the oil to weld the "rip".

Not ideal but it will work.