PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug light never comes on on new '06 LBZ

upsguy
09-05-2006, 22:21
Just got a new '06 CC 4X4 with LBZ motor. This is my first diesel truck, but we've got a tractor and I thought there should be an indicator to show that glow plugs were ready. I asked salesman about it and he kind of shrugged it off. I thought, well, maybe with these new diesels it happens so fast there's no need for one. But, now I read in the manual that there is one, but it never lights up. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, according to the article posted about the glow plug recall, my truck vin number falls into the range for the recall, but since I just bought if off the lot it should have already been fixed, right?

Man, I love this diesel. I'll be pulling my TT like a tin can on a string and heading for the mountains to get out of this Texas heat.

Thanks for any help!

DmaxMaverick
09-05-2006, 22:25
Welcome to the Forums!

Wait until winter. You'll see it, if you don't blink. The new(er) LBZ glow system is much faster than previous models, and many times you won't even see the lamp in warm weather.

jevanb
09-06-2006, 02:33
the temp @ night are around 50 now and when i start her in the morning i get the light ,stays on for 1 sec. during the day when she is cold it never comes on. as for the recall when i picked up my truck and was driving her home i called onstar to get it going they said i needed the recall accomplished (thought the dealer would of checked) but they didn't so i had to take it back

cowboywildbill
09-06-2006, 12:11
We hardly ever see ours light. It only comes on sometimes and that is for about 1/2 second. We had one morning when it got pretty cool overnight, it came on for about 1.5 second. I had the same questions when we first brought ours home.

cwood
09-17-2006, 18:59
bought a new 06 with LBZ last week I also have to take it back for the glowplug recall. Im kinda mad they didnt fix it before letting me have the truck

Dihrdbowti
09-18-2006, 15:32
I've had my 07 for a couple of weeks now and have seen the light come on a couple of times. Once while camping it was in the low 40's overnight and lately it is getting into the low 50's to high 40's overnight here in Reno so the light has flashed briefly a couple of times. I suppose I should check on that recall on my truck too..

2tough2park
09-23-2006, 13:56
It's designed that way. The advanced technology in the new motors decreases the reliance on the glow systems. The 06 Dmax's are equipped with a heat screen, much like the hot air box on a Cummins. The glow plugs are rarely used. The heat screen is used primarily and there's no indicator for that as it heats the air as it travels to the intake. The glow plugs are relegated to backup duty and used only when the computer feels the heat screen won't suffice by itself. At least that's how I understand it.
And I only see my glow indicator MAYBE once a day. I'm sure I'll see it more as the weather cools.

hapaschold
09-24-2006, 12:02
It's designed that way. The advanced technology in the new motors decreases the reliance on the glow systems. The 06 Dmax's are equipped with a heat screen, much like the hot air box on a Cummins. The glow plugs are rarely used. The heat screen is used primarily and there's no indicator for that as it heats the air as it travels to the intake. The glow plugs are relegated to backup duty and used only when the computer feels the heat screen won't suffice by itself. At least that's how I understand it.
And I only see my glow indicator MAYBE once a day. I'm sure I'll see it more as the weather cools.

my indicator lite is off real quik, but no cold weather yet....but from what i ve seen and heard, the glow plugs stay on for a bit after start up, this cuts down on start up smoke. my 06dmax does as my 04 6.0 psd. you can tell by watching the interior lites......brightens up after 15-20 seconds of runnning...longer when real cold out..

cowboywildbill
09-25-2006, 07:00
I'm surprised that there are still trucks on the lot that haven't had the glowplug issue resolved at the factory. And if they have been on a dealers lot for a few months, I'm surprised that GM doesn't have the dealer do the re flash before the customer takes delivery. But then after checking my fluid levels, it is clear that some dealers don't do anything but get you sign and drive away.

Dihrdbowti
09-25-2006, 13:36
When I got my 07 a few weeks back the salesman mentioned the truck was going through the service dept to be checked out and detailed while I was doing the paperwork. I also received in the mail an 07 and 08 calendar with a picture of me standing by my truck. Also a 10% off card for anything in the parts/service dept. I think I need to double check the parts discount though.