PDA

View Full Version : My noise quirks and a few questions...

Docklobster
09-07-2006, 08:31
Just joined the GMC crowd and love the truck so far, I'm at 1800 miles with 900mi heavy towing. '06 2500HD stock at this point. 12mpg towing, 18mpg freeway no load. I tow a 9000# goose neck trailer.

Was going to post yesterday that I hadn't had any problems to date but of course my engine light came on. Error codes U0100, U0700, and U0181 - dropped it off at the dealer today.

Question:

I get a clunking type noise that sounds like somthing is hitting against the steering column any time I drove over a change in surface, pothole, small bump etc... Not sure if something is loose or if this is common with the torsion type suspension, I mentioned to service and I plan to try driving another truck today to see if it is unique to mine. Any thoughts?

Service (which doesn't seem too familar with my diesel) said to change the first oil at 3K and the rear axle at 20K. I do a lot of towing, suggestions seem much earlier on the web site here. Just thought I would get the opinions again???

Thanks,

Docklobster
09-07-2006, 13:33
Ok I need some help here:

Dealer contacted me back about the engine light codes: U0100,P0181, and P0700.

Said GM knows about the problem and does NOT have a fix.

Dealer said they can't fix the car and it is ready to pick up??

what the heck???:mad:

Now what do I do???

Anyone else have this issue???

Thanks,

ccii42104
09-08-2006, 17:35
Mine clunks too. After 10 years of Ford 4x4 PSDs i am used to clunks and bumps. But this is different. I almost think it is in the dash and something is lose. I don't know.

GMC Tech
09-08-2006, 18:08
Heres the bulletin they are refering to. It makes refrence to using the block heater when temps are above 0 degrees.
Subject: Duramax Diesel with DTCs P0116, P0181, P0700, U0100 - keywords Allison block coolant ECT engine hard harsh heater IAT MW7 performance SES shift temperature transmission #PIP3754 - (03/16/2006)

GMC Tech

Models: 2006 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado

2006 GMC Sierra, TopKick

Equipped with the 6.6L (RPO - LBZ or LLY) Diesel Engine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Duramax Diesels with a DTC P0116 P0181 P0700 U0100.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complete published diagnosis for any trouble codes or symptoms found. If the concern is intermittent, or diagnosis leads to no problem found, see if the customer is using the Engine Coolant Heater above 0 degrees F (-18

Thumper Pilot
01-13-2008, 20:01
Found this post when searching my problem, but it's not making sense.

I've got the SES light on and P0700, U0100, and P0181 codes set right now per my ODBII scan, and I have used the block heater above 0 deg F many nights but never had an issue (though recently it was on when the temp was probably close to 30 deg F, so that may have contributed to the codes).

However, I also have the issue of the truck winding out 1st - 4th gears longer than it normally does, and it hovers in 4th for quite a while before going to 5th and 6th.

Would using the block heater when too warm ambient temp then cause the shifting issue? Doesn't seem like it would, but...?

I've seen some other posts of this "not shifting into 5th" issue, but mine does go to 5th and 6th eventually and I have no mods or Edge/Predator systems.

linchhummmer
01-14-2008, 14:40
it sounds to me like an intermediate steering column to me and theres a Chevy bulliten for it it dose it on my truck too gm has two fixes for it one pack the column full of grease or a new intermediate steering column

EdHale
01-14-2008, 14:53
They don't do the grease anymore. They have a new "redesigned and fixed" intermediate steering shaft. I have had mine replaced twice under warranty and both times they replaced the lower bearing as well. It is all tight again now.

Ed

Thumper Pilot
01-14-2008, 19:24
I guess the block heater codes were the cause of the shifting issue - cleared the codes, shifts normally now, go figure!

Shed
01-15-2008, 17:46
Not sure about the codes. I had an 04' c/c 6.0L and started getting the clunk in the steering column. Dealer told me they felt and slightly heard it and replaced the "column" before a long trip pulling. One year later it started again (late 05') and they replaced it again. They also told me Chevy was replacing them and had no "fix" for it yet. Traded the truck for my current d-max.