PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 94 'burb 6.5TD w/ blown head gaskets??

bgowland
09-07-2006, 10:39
I have been looking for a 4 door diesel suv of truck for a while. My Bronco and getting a car seat in and out of the back just don't mix.

I saw an ad on a local car site for a 95 'burb. Here is the ad:

Mechanic's Special $2,495. 1994 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel (Head Gaskets leak) 4x4, A/C, P/S, P/B, A/T, etc. Super value for right person.

What do you think? I haven't looked at it or called the guy. Are there some obvious questions I should ask? Is this something to stay away from?

Thanks in advance

Bill G.

Hubert
09-07-2006, 15:01
Read up a little on the forum. You'll probably have to pull the block and have it decked and get some new heads if everything on bottom checks out. If its real clean not too many miles on everything else and you can do the work yourself cheap it might be an ok deal but if you have to pay for this work it might not be worth it.

Gotta kind of question why the head gasket blew though. Was it towing heavy or run low on coolant? High miles, low maintenance, or bad luck.

bgowland
09-07-2006, 16:46
Thanks for the reply. I am going to call the guy tongiht and see what info I can get from him.

tommac95
09-07-2006, 21:29
The trucks are pretty nice. The engines eventually need work. You cannot count on the 'block' and/or rotating-assembly to be OK when it comes time to overhaul, (which you usually can with a gas automotive engine, or heavy-duty diesel). The heads are generally doomed {they crack, and the seats slump/wear} 100 to 175K MI (after a while) but new ones are available at moderate cost. If your block/crank {the cranks crack if the clutch or harmonic balancer aren't maintained} needs replacement plan to spend 5-8 thousand {and UP!} for a decent replacement engine .[Newer blocks are much, much improved, and '97-up water pumps and new heads are better, too].

You'll need to clean the heat exchangers at the front, and service/maintain the electric connections in the engine wireharness and battery cabling ... and plan on some fuel system maintenance as well. A new fuel system on these costs about $1000-$2000 {may want renew fuel tank if in a roadsalt-prone area} , which is about one-tenth the cost of a state-of-the-art fuel system used on a 2001-up diesel.