PDA

View Full Version : No Go Due To Leaking Fuel Filter Water Drain O-Ring

Tim B
09-07-2006, 15:23
Thought I would relate a situation that stopped me dead in my tracks. This is the short version -

Started my truck to go to work one day; it ran all of 5 seconds before shutting down. I figured it was most likely fuel related so I changed out the filter and bled the system. Still no go so I took the filter off again to see if there was anything wrong with the assembly that could still be causing my problem. On a whim I unscrewed the water drain valve on the bottom of the filter and noticed there was an o-ring on the end of it. Aha ! After I found a replacement (not easy), assembled everything and re-bled the system, the truck started right up ! Obviously, the O-ring had worn enough to allow air to enter the system.

Moral of this story - I will be replacing that o-ring about every second filter change.

Hope this helps someone some day.

Tim B.
'02 Duramax with 77,000 miles.

BozDMAX
09-09-2006, 04:46
All the fuel filters I have purchased came with two O-Rings - one for the top and another for the bottom. Why would you wait every other filter change to replace the one on the water drain valve?

jbplock
09-09-2006, 06:08
All the fuel filters I have purchased came with two O-Rings - one for the top and another for the bottom.

Boz,

Good point but I think Tim is talking about the little (third) O-ring on the WIF sensor drain plug. I've been lubing all three with Parker Super O-Lube or silicone grease .. I also lube the plastic filter, WIF & plug threads too ...

:)

Tim B
09-09-2006, 21:43
jbplock is exactly correct. After re-reading my original post I can see that I was not clear about which o-ring I was referring to. I'm talking about the small one on the end of the valve that can be unscrewed to drain water from the fuel filter/WIF assembly. If you completely unscrew this small drain valve, you'll see that it has a small o-ring on the end. That's the one that lost it's seal and allowed air to enter my fuel system, shutting me down.

Sorry folks -

Tim B.

Tim B
09-20-2006, 08:01
JBPLOCK - Where can I get the Parker Super O-Lube ?

Thanks much,

Tim B.

jbplock
09-20-2006, 17:23
Tim,

I bought a tube from a local Parker Dealer/Hydraulic Hose shop ...about $10 IIRC ... A Google search yields a few online sources ... here's one example.

http://www.bvmjets.com/Accessories/superlube.htm

Also try the parker distributor search (seals group)
http://www.parker.com/distloc/english/indexv4.asp

:)