PDA

View Full Version : Compatible Intercooler at junkyard?

JSteward
09-07-2006, 19:00
I saw a new model Ford 3/4 ton at a "U-Auto-Pull-it" the other day that had an intercooler mounted below. I'm sure I could buy that intercooler for cheap. How hard would it be to get it to be compatible with my truck?

Thanks guys.

TurboDiverArt
09-07-2006, 19:16
I saw a new model Ford 3/4 ton at a "U-Auto-Pull-it" the other day that had an intercooler mounted below. I'm sure I could buy that intercooler for cheap. How hard would it be to get it to be compatible with my truck?

Thanks guys.
Cheap yes but if you can get a new one shipped to you for about $150, why buy used? The piping is going to be the cost unless you can weld aluminum and fabricate.

Art.

Rot Box
09-08-2006, 16:27
Cheap yes but if you can get a new one shipped to you for about $150, why buy used? Art.

I can weld, bend, fabricate, drill, tap, mold, and just about do anything with aluminum, but a new intercooler for $150? am I missing something? That sounds REALLY cheap. Where can you get one for $150? I'm very interested.

TurboDiverArt
09-08-2006, 19:39
I can weld, bend, fabricate, drill, tap, mold, and just about do anything with aluminum, but a new intercooler for $150? am I missing something? That sounds REALLY cheap. Where can you get one for $150? I'm very interested.
eBay. Kevin from Turbo Works sells 24" x 12" x 3" (core size) for $95 + $31 shipping. He also makes 4" thick versions for about $40 more. I went with the 4" thick core. You can contact him directly at etdmotors@sbcglobal.net.

Here's one of the 3" thick ones on eBay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Intercooler-3-Core-Supra-S13-S14-Mustang-240SX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ010QQit emZ200024780099QQrdZ1

You can get a universal 3" piping kit for about $89. They typically come with a bunch of mandrel bent aluminum pipes and some straight silicone hose ends. If you can cut, fabricate and weld you can make your own piping and save a bunch. Just remember that the turbo outlet is 2.5” OD so you’ll need to step it up using 3” tubing.

A number of people on this board have made their own intercooler using these universal cores. The maximum intercooler width you want is 31 wide by 12" high (overall size, not core size). It'll fit right where the skid plate is.

Art.

Rot Box
09-08-2006, 19:47
:eek: I could definatly make that work! Anyone got pics of these on their 6.5L's? Thanks a bunch Art can't wait to get started!

atom_c
09-08-2006, 21:46
You can see mine and others by searching webshots.com. Search for "6.5 intercooler". I hope that helps.

Adam

TurboDiverArt
09-10-2006, 12:36
:eek: I could definatly make that work! Anyone got pics of these on their 6.5L's? Thanks a bunch Art can't wait to get started!
Here